Lager is very sleepy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I pitched my liquid yeast into my lager about 24hrs ago into wort that was in the 55-68F range. The yeast was room temp and I did not do a starter (looks a bit intimidating at this point).
I placed it in my lagerator that has been holding between 49-51F since yesterday. The yeast states best fermentation 50-55 and there is 0 activity yet. I imagine the colder temps pitching means I could have quite a long lag time until some action starts? I also shook the heck out of the carboy before pitching to get some O2 in there.:drunk:

Pugilist said:
I pitched my liquid yeast into my lager about 24hrs ago into wort that was in the 55-68F range. The yeast was room temp and I did not do a starter (looks a bit intimidating at this point).
I placed it in my lagerator that has been holding between 49-51F since yesterday. The yeast states best fermentation 50-55 and there is 0 activity yet. I imagine the colder temps pitching means I could have quite a long lag time until some action starts? I also shook the heck out of the carboy before pitching to get some O2 in there.:drunk:

Whoops, Sometimes liquid takes forever to take off I still think you should make a stqarter

Pull it out into room temps until you see a krausen, then put it back into the cold. You'll be waiting forever for fermentation at lager temps, esp without a starter.

I pulled it out to the living room and put it in a cardboard box. Hopefully it will wake it back up. From what I have been reading though, starting at warm temps will produce alot of Diacetyl? I suppose that means I will need to do a diacetyl rest before racking to the secondary?

Man....I shoulda stuck with ales!

Diacetyl is normally made through fermentation, but at lager temps it accumulates. A diacetyl rest is when you bring the beer up to room temp so the yeast eats the remaining diacetyl. Warm temps for lager yeast can cause other off flavors.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. So just get the yeast to start feasting on the sugar and then getting into the fridge will be safe?

Lager yeast don't party the same way ale yeast do, they start slow and mellow and keep it going till the next night where as ale yeast start out hard and are home in bed by 6 am.

Just an update for ya'll. It is at about 64F now and the little yeasties are slowly waking up and crawling up to the top. Very minor krausen, but hopefully it will take off!

Back