Lager in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebl

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've started on my first lager...

I have a Budvar Lager that has been in secondary for 2 weeks now (mainly just to clear it up) in my fridge at 40 degrees. I need an extra carboy for another beer I made, so i was wondering if it would be ok to rack the lager to a corney keg and continue to store it at 40 degrees to lager?

I was thinking about transferring it over, and putting 10 psi on the keg to seat the lid, then back in the fridge for a month or so.

I did a search for this, but I all I could find was people who went from primary straight to secondary in a keg, I want to know if it would hurt to go from secondary to a keg to lager.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Shouldn't hurt much, just make sure you are careful not to oxidize the beer when transfering so many times. The lager yeast is bottom fermenting so, you may be leaving that behind when you rack, but there will most likely be enough in suspension to get the job done. If it isn't lagering properly you can always re-pitch.

Its probably better to lager in the keg anyway because you can just hook up the co2 after 4-5 weeks and it will be ready to drink. Shouldn't have to rack after lagering anyway unless you will be bottling. Good Luck

Think I will need to add an airlock to it or will it be fine sealed up?

Thanks for all the help. I've been reading this forum for months, and this is my first post. I basically learned to brew from this site!

Yep, rack to that bad boy and let her lager. Really be sure and pre-purge your targeted lagering keg prior to transferring. With a Corny keg you can hook up both port connections. Run your beer-out connection to the carboy racking tube and hook some tubing up to the gas-in connection on your keg. Since you purged it, CO2 should be all that is in it and once hooked up simply apply enough suction to the tubing on the gas-in side to start your siphon. Once the beer starts flowing into your lagering keg, you will have positive pressure coming out of your gas-in connection and nothing will have a chance to go back inside the keg. This also helps push any O2 out the top as you are filling from the bottom up. After you fill the keg, hook everything up like it is supposed to be. Then simply purge the keg and seat it with pressure and you should be dandy.

You won't need an airlock once sealed up.

Latest posts

Back