lager fermenting ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53sparks

Reaction score
I just boiled my first lager (a SaM Adams clone) i used the wyeast smack pack 2206, i am not sure if i am suppose to put in fridge at 50-55 degrees right away after pitching, or if i am suppose to let it ferment at room temp for primary, then lager in the secondary at the 50 55 degrees. i do have the temp control for my frig. thanks for any help. Ron

We've debated the "best" way to pitch yeast into a lager a number of times, but I find that a huge starter at 48 degrees (chilled with the spent wort decanted) put into 50 degree wort seems to really go well for me. I like that yeast and use it in several of my lagers, particularly the oktoberfest ones.

From Wyeast's website: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=152

It says that it should be fermented at 46- 58 degrees. After primary is over, I do a diacetyl rest (but only if needed, and I don't usually need one with this yeast, if I keep it at/below 50 degrees), and then rack to secondary. Then, I lower the temperature 5 degrees per day until I'm at 34 degrees for 6-8 weeks or so.

I recommend doing another Lager right after this one. It is prime time to do a good Marzen.

Pitching onto the yeast cake of this batch will be equal to the biggest starter you could ever make.

It has been debated whether or not to pitch at the fermenting temp. or room temp. I brew the same clone you did and left it at about 68F for a day until I saw activity, then I put it in the fridge at 52F. It fermented for a little over 3 weeks and had no detectable diacetyl.

You could likewise cool the fermenter down to 55ish and pitch at that temp and put it right in the fridge. A few other things I found out the hard way...did you make a starter? I didnt and my lag time was long. It seems a big starter, 2L or so is the key to a quick takeoff for a lager ferment.

Back