Lager Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoman

Reaction score
This past weekend I brewed up a baltic porter (OG 1.097, 2308 Munich Lager). I had some trouble cooling it (still haven't made myself an IC) and ended up pitching around 100F due to time constraints. Per instructions from my LHBS owner, I let it ferment at room temp for about 12 hours, then moved it to my basement which is 42F.

When the wort was finishing cooling in the sealed tub it sucked in some sanitized water from the airlock. I thought, 'No big deal, I'll just add some more water and let it go". Unfortunately, the same thing happened again, and I haven't seen the typical bulging of the plastic lid that I see from CO2 release. Usually I wouldn't worry too much, but this is my first lager and I spent a solid chunk of change on the DME for the recipe... Any ideas to get it jump started and give it some life, or should I just let it do its thing?

100F is ridiculously hot for a lager. Did you make a starter? What kind of airlock do you have? I had a similar situation with a Belgian Lager I brewed. I pitched a little on the warm side and didn't see any activity for three days. I didn't really have time on my side so I just went to my LHBS and bought two vials of a czech pilsner and dumped them in. I still didn't see any activity for 24 hours. I had a taste of it going into my secondary the other day and it was pretty good.

Back