Quantcast

Lager Fermentation Equipment

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Morrey

Reaction score
At this point in my brewing career, I have made ales due to the lack of temp control I have here in SC. With that said, I'm looking at finding an inexpensive chest freezer for the purpose of fermenting lagers.

I have an outside refrigerator that I use for a variety of products including a few corny kegs with beers that are cold conditioning at a steady 35F. I use this for a variety of things, so I don't want to be lowering and raising temps for obvious reasons.

So, now I am in the market for a chest freezer with a temp controller/probe to be able to do a proper lager fermentation and have temp control. I will only ferment in this freezer, then move the kegs when filled to the big refrigerator at 35F for lager conditioning.

Any suggestions on a fermentation freezer? Probably only will ferment one FV at a time, so will a 3.5 or 5 cu ft freezer work? All I need is for the freezer to have the height to accommodate a 6.5 gallon FV with an airlock on top. What is my best bet in brands and size? I don't have much room for anyone big at all....small is best.

aangel

Reaction score
Craigslist plus an inkbird. I have two massive freezers that can handle 5+ batches, each, and paid $50 for both. The inkbird controller will run you $25-40. Since space is a premium for you, look for an upright freezer - college students typically get rid of their dorm fridges around this time of year FYI.

OP
Morrey

Morrey

Reaction score
Craigslist plus an inkbird. I have two massive freezers that can handle 5+ batches, each, and paid $50 for both. The inkbird controller will run you $25-40. Since space is a premium for you, look for an upright freezer - college students typically get rid of their dorm fridges around this time of year FYI.
Good info. I have my radar screen on Craigslist now looking. Inkbird's website has a variety of controllers. Can I find one that I simply plug my freezer into w/o splicing and wiring?

Would Inkbird Itc-308 do the job?

aangel

Reaction score
Yep, the 308 does the trick. If you want programmable timer for the temperature control as well, look at the 310. ($40ish for the 308 vs $60ish for the 310).

OP
Morrey

Morrey

Reaction score
Inkbird 308 ordered and on the way. I found a like new GE 5 cu ft chest freezer for a great price.

This 5 cu ft should allow me to fit a 6.5G FV in it, and possibly two or three ball lock kegs when the freezer not being used for the FV. I'll just have to wait and see the capacity of the freezer once I pick it up.