lager diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing a lager it has been on the primary for 12 days at 50 F. There is still a nice layer of brown Krausen on the top, it is bubbling about every 8 to 10 seconds.
I was going to take a gravity reading, but thought the brown layer on top should have fallen first.
Should I wait for a few more days for the krausen to drop off the top (not sure if there is a set amount of days before I should do the Diacetyl rest) or should I just go ahead and do a diacetyl rest (raising the temperature slowly to 68 F)?

can't you take a sample for gravity reading from a bottom spigot?
I usually wait 10-12 days then move the beer and o for diacetil rest if gravity is close to expected FG

beer is in a carboy, I am going to use a wine thief today to check the gravity. Just wasn't sure about the thin brown layer of Krausen that is on top, I thought it was supposed to drop out by now.

Yep, time to ramp up. Without knowing your OG, I would have started ramping up 10 - 15 gravity points ago. You don't have to wait until FG to start your d-rest.

Just do it, if you need it. If you don't smell or taste diacetyl, then you can safely skip the rest if you wish. Won't hurt to do one now for sure though if you're concerned at all. Late in the fermentation, higher temperature really doesn't hurt a dang thing, and might even help. Go for it.

nice site ba-brewer, it is now in my favorites, there is a lot of information there.
I Started the Diacetyl rest and will keep ramping the temperature up slowly to 68 F. At that point I think I will do the Diacetly test. I also have a Blond that is almost ready to come out of the fermenter. That would be a good one to practice the Diacetly test on.

Back