lager: diacetyl rest after freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrGarbonzo

Reaction score
Hey,

I’m two weeks into fermentation and set my temp to start increasing from 45 to get into diacetyl rest temps but the next day it was down to 33! I think i messed up the controller settings. anyhow, should i go back up to 65 for the rest? or just stay at 33 for lagering and see what happens? airlock still has a slow bubble so it’s not stalled.

If you pitch a large/healthy amount of yeast you don't necessarily need to do a d-rest, and a lot of people on here have good results without doing a d-rest...

You could always take a sample and see what it taste like to help make your decision. If it taste like butter or leaves a slick feeling on your tongue then I would probably try to do a d-rest. If you do not detect these then keep lagering it.

Cheers!

airlock still has a slow bubble so it’s not stalled.

Just saw this ^ but did you reach your expected FG or close before you changed the temp? If not, then you should warm it back up and give the fermentor a shake to try to help if finish. Especially if you're planning on bottling it...

I plan to keg it but I’ve decided to warm it up and then lager for a few weeks. I’m not in a rush and it seems like if the yeast are strong enough they’ll let me do that without throwing any off-flavors.

Back