Lager carbing without a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osrinith

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've got a pilsner lagering right now at 36, and it's just about ready for the next step. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what the next step should be. I don't really have the money to buy a kegging system, and I'm flush with nice bottles that I'd like to use. Is it possible to carb up a lager without a kegging system? My options (as I see them) are as follow:

1) buy kegging system and carb that way.
2) transfer to bottling bucket, add priming sugar like usual, then bottle.
3) same as option #2, but add some fresh yeast in the bottling bucket as well as the priming sugar.

I'm leaning towards option #3 just because I'm worried that nearly all of the yeast will have gone dormant/fallen out of suspension over the course of the lagering process. But I'm concerned that using fresh lager yeast in the bottles will make more of the sulfur compounds that I just got rid of by lagering! And if I use an ale yeast, it might introduce other off-flavors.

So, wise ones, please help a lager-newbie out. What's the best path forward? Thanks!

How long have you been lagering? Dont worry too much, there will be enough yeast in suspension to chew up the priming sugar and carbonate unless you've been lagering for a long time (like greater than 6 months).

Even if you did add additional yeast, you will not get sulfer compounds because its only a tiny bit of sugar.

RDWHAHB!

EDIT: A direct answer to your question, go with Option 2!

I've bottled many many lagers- it's fine.

I like option #3.

What I found that works best for me after a long period of lagering is to simply dissolve about 1/3 package of dry nottingham yeast into the cooled priming solution. Stir well, and then rack the beer into that. It's a "clean" well attenuating ale yeast that flocculates well, so the beer is still absolutely crystal clear and it carbs up well with no flavor impact.

Option #3, more yeast really not needed but couldn't hurt. Either use a calculator for carbination and use the highest temperature the beer got to during fermenation. Or, use 1 oz of priming corn sugar per 1 gallon of beer for about 2.5 vol CO2.

Estimate how much beer is lost during your transfers for more accurate priming calculations.

Back