Lager bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNKDUKE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I brewed a dopplebock and am going to bottle soon. Of course I will add yeast to the bucket but here's the thing...I have a pile -almost a full pint - of the yeast I used for fermentation that I saved from primary (let it settle -washed and sanitized jars - poured off wort and then poured yeast into jars)

Can I use this for bottling instead of dry?:confused:

How long has it been lagering? There's probably no need to re-pitch. I used to add fresh yeast at bottling time, and always ended up with too much sediment. Then people assured me that, unless it's been sitting for over a year, there's almost certainly enough yeast in suspension to carbonate without re-pitching. So far, they've been right. Sometimes it takes a little longer to carbonate, but I always get less sludge at the bottom of the bottle.

Yeah, there should be plenty of live yeast still in suspension to carbonate with no problems. I wouldn't bother re-pitching if I were you.

So Ill ask in a different way......
IF I WERE to add more yeast to the bucket, can I use harvested yeast or do I have to use dry.

IF I WERE to add more yeast to the bucket, can I use harvested yeast or do I have to use dry.
When I re-pitched at bottling, I used to use harvested yeast that had been cleaned, stored cold, and fed on nutrient.

You can definitely use liquid yeast.

However, if your beer has been lagering for two months, I assume your saved yeast has too. It will be just as slow to get started as the yeast in your beer.

If you want to use the saved yeast, I suggest using a small starter to get it active again.

It's just much easier to add 1/3 package of dry ale yeast, but you could definitely use liquid if you want to.

You can definitely use liquid yeast.

However, if your beer has been lagering for two months, I assume your saved yeast has too. It will be just as slow to get started as the yeast in your beer.

If you want to use the saved yeast, I suggest using a small starter to get it active again.

It's just much easier to add 1/3 package of dry ale yeast, but you could definitely use liquid if you want to.

Let me add a little to the marked sentence. Once you have the small starter going, don't waste it on bottling, use it to make a new batch of beer. Your 2 month old lager will carbonate fine without the added yeast and you will end up with another batch of beer too.:mug:

There is a definite difference between conditioning time on a regular beer and one that has been bulk-lagering for 2 months. I'm finding it can take 5-6 weeks before they are good. Not a big deal on a doppelbock but it's a pain on regular lagers. I'm finding a mix of bulk lagering and bottle lagering seems to work best. I'm too cheap to go adding dry yeast and adding slurry seems counter intuitive when you have been working hard to clear the beer. YMMV.

.......Your 2 month old lager will carbonate fine without the added yeast and you will end up with another batch of beer too.:mug:

This is my first lager and I read so much on reintroducing yeast for bottling...
Through experience (and homebrewtalk) I'll eventually get it...Thanks

Thank you Mainer and Yooper.
I bottled yesterday with no added yeast.
Awesome. Good luck. Like I said, it may take longer than usual to carb up, but I find that a worthwhile trade-off for a clearer beer with less sediment.

Aside from the physical properties, what's the dif - slurry or dry? The dry turns into slurry.....:confused:

When you add slurry you are also adding a bit of trub and hop matter, makes for a bit more cake in the bottom of the bottles. Not a big deal but I prefer not to have it there.

Back