Lager Bottling Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrya100

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager and it is currently conditioning in a carboy in the Fridge at about 40 F. After I bottle what temp should I leave the bottles at for carbonation? I have heard fermentation temp (I fermented at 55 F). This was a kit beer and it says 64 to 70 F. I am just not sure what raising the temp after conditioning will do.

Thanks

You'll get a wide range of answers I bet. Some add ale yeast at bottling and carb at 70. Some add lager yeast and carb at 70, and some will carb in the upper 50's/low 60s.

I did the ale trick at 70 and the lager yeast in low 60's. I preferred the later, but it was probably due to reasons other than my bottle carbing process as they were quite different brews. Both carbed up fine.

Does more yeast have to be added when bottle conditioning a Lager?
Just tryibg to gather all the points so im prepared.
Thanks

I just did a lagger and it carbed up nice. I did not add any extra yeast. it sat in my fermentation chamber at 54 F for 1 week than I raised temp to 59 for another week and it carbed just fine. It tastes good. I would post a pic but t is too early for a beer and I don't believe it abusing m by wasting it. But in the interest of full disclosure, I am a noob and that was my first lagger.
I ferment and carb according to the yeasts instructions and keep it within the yeasts ideal range. But again, I am a noob, so take with a grain of salt.

Does more yeast have to be added when bottle conditioning a Lager?
Just tryibg to gather all the points so im prepared.
Thanks

You don't have to, but if the beer has been lagering near freezing for a lengthy period of time, I will add some yeast at bottling.

About 1/3 of a package of a neutral ale yeast works well. I just boil up the priming sugar, let it cool, and stir in 1/3 package of dry nottingham ale yeast. I add that to my bottling bucket, and then rack the beer into it.

It carbs up nicely at room temperature in a couple of weeks, and then it's ready to drink!

^^ What Yooper says for sure. Had a Marzen and Dunkel that were lagered for two months and after bottling tasted great but were mostly flat. Ninety percent of the time when I was bottling my lagers they would carb up nicely but adding yeast is good insurance for a beer that you dedicate so much time to.

Ok,ive done a couple ales and Lager is different in most ways so im excited to learn and hopefully suceed with a batch soon.
Thanks for help and info!

I just did a lagger and it carbed up nice. I did not add any extra yeast. it sat in my fermentation chamber at 54 F for 1 week than I raised temp to 59 for another week and it carbed just fine. It tastes good. I would post a pic but t is too early for a beer and I don't believe it abusing m by wasting it. But in the interest of full disclosure, I am a noob and that was my first lagger.
I ferment and carb according to the yeasts instructions and keep it within the yeasts ideal range. But again, I am a noob, so take with a grain of salt.

What yeast did you happen to use for the batch?.

Back