lager 2nd day no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellmo1

Reaction score
first lager and after 2 days no bubbles out the air lock setting at 54 degrees
is this ok i have done a lot of ails no trouble all grain

Well, airlock activity isn't always a sign of fermentation. I'd leave it in primary for about 10 days and then check the sg. If it's ready for the diacetyl rest you could do it then. Depending on the lager yeast strain, you might not even need a d-rest. I wouldn't worry about airlock activity (or the lack of) right now. If you are really concerned, you could check the sg now and then again tomorrow just to make sure it's still fermenting.

Personally, I think you started you fermentation at a too low temp.

I remember reading brew as normal, make a starter at room temp, allow the wort to start fermenting for 24 hours then lower the temp to fermenting temps.

If you start too cold it'll take much longer to get started.

Yooper Chick said:
Well, airlock activity isn't always a sign of fermentation. I'd leave it in primary for about 10 days and then check the sg. If it's ready for the diacetyl rest you could do it then. Depending on the lager yeast strain, you might not even need a d-rest. I wouldn't worry about airlock activity (or the lack of) right now. If you are really concerned, you could check the sg now and then again tomorrow just to make sure it's still fermenting.

I havent done a lager yet, although it likely wont be too long before I do, but I though you did the diacetyl rest at abotu 75% completion. Wouldnt 10 days be too late?

Lagers take longer than ales to ferment- 10-14 days in primary is pretty typical.

I'm a big believer in pitching at fermenting temps so I pitch cold. But, I pitch a humungous starter by first chilling it in the fridge and decanting the spent wort. When the starter is around 45 degrees and the wort is around 50, I pitch it. Pitching cooler yeast into slightly warmer wort gets it going. I then ferment the 10-14 days or so and do the d-rest if needed. Depending on the yeast strain, you may not need a d-rest anyway.

Back