Lag time= 30 mins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I pitched onto an s-04 yeast cake last night.. within I'd say a half hour it was going nuts. Also pitched some washed and started Notty that I had stuck in the fridge to decant. I had to skip brewing and it has sat there with just foil over the top for probably a week... pitched that into a partigyle and within 2-3 hours it was bubbling away.

Short lag times aren't always positive. If you're using s04, I assume you want some of the nice English characteristics it can produce. A lot of these are produced (or at least the precursor elements) during the lag phase. Lag phase is a but of a misnomer as the yeast really are quite active taking up O2 and nutrients, strengthening cell walls, etc. I'm not a fan of pitching a whole yeast cake as there tends to be a lo of dead yeast and trub in there, and because it tends to lead to over pitching.

Back