Lag Phase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklawmusic

Reaction score
I made a porter last night, of which there is 7 gallons. I managed to fix six gallons into my primary fermentation bottle but an additional litre had to go into a demijohn.

Using the same yeast starter (which I thoroughly mixed before pitching), I pitched around 1.25 litres into the primary and around 25ml into the demijohn.

Today, the demijohn looks like this:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422713708.378757.jpg

But there appears to be no activity in my SS brew bucket holding the main batch; no airlock action at least (I haven't taken the lid off yet). I started it going at around 11pm last night.

When should I start to worry about the 6 gallon batch?

I made a porter last night, of which there is 7 gallons. I managed to fix six gallons into my primary fermentation bottle but an additional litre had to go into a demijohn.

Using the same yeast starter (which I thoroughly mixed before pitching), I pitched around 1.25 litres into the primary and around 25ml into the demijohn.

Today, the demijohn looks like this:
View attachment 252898

But there appears to be no activity in my SS brew bucket holding the main batch; no airlock action at least (I haven't taken the lid off yet). I started it going at around 11pm last night.

When should I start to worry about the 6 gallon batch?

Those bucket lids are notoriously leaky. I'd take a quick look and see. It's probably fine!

It's not a standard bucket, it's an SS Brewtech stainless steel bucket so they're very airtight.

Come to think of it, I pitched around 125ml (not 25ml) into the demijohn.

It's not a standard bucket, it's an SS Brewtech stainless steel bucket so they're very airtight.

Come to think of it, I pitched around 125ml (not 25ml) into the demijohn.

Proportionally you may have pitched more yeast in your smaller fermenter than in your bigger fermenter. So you may have pitched much closer to you smaller pitching rate than your large, leading to one quick fermentation start and one longer start.

Yeah, there really is no other reason why the demijohn would ferment and not the 6 gallon bucket, providing the wort and yeast are the same and the temperatures of the wort between the two were the same and low enough not to kill the yeast. Its probably just as spectre suggests. Just give it some time

Back