Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboygentry

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with brewing with lactose. When I opened my fermenter for the first time to pitch in the cocoa nips it looked liked the yeast cake hadn't dropped. Wasn't sue if this was something related to the lactose. The sample tasted outstanding. No off flavors or aromas. So I don't think it's an infection. Just puzzled.

I brewed on 11/16. Used Wyeast #1332. I'm very particular with cleaning and sanitation. I will try and post a picture tomorrow or so. But just wondering if anyone had a similar experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not exactly sure what it is that you're asking. Are you saying the krausen hadn't fallen? If so, how long after fermentation had it been? Lactose would most likely not be visible as it should have been dissolved in the boil. A recipe and process may help trouble shoot as well.

Yeah the Krausen hadn't dropped. But just keged this up last night and all is well and the beer tasted just fine. Sometimes I just got to relax and enjoy some more homebrew.

When I have persistent krausen I move the fermentor outside or in my freezer. Usually the agitation from moving and the colder temperature (50s) is enough to get it to drop by the next morning. In case it happens again....

Back