Lactose Intolerant Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brew club is looking for a Chocolate Stout recipe that's either won awards or places in comp for our next club brew.... Tricky part is one of our members is lactose intolerant. If anyone has such a recipe they're willing to share it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm confident that almost any recipe that uses lactose will still be very good with a similar portion of maltodextrine substituted. You could even leave it out and just mash higher.

It will be pretty different, but I bet it will still be very tasty. I have a great recipe if you're interested.

daksin said:
I'm confident that almost any recipe that uses lactose will still be very good with a similar portion of maltodextrine substituted. You could even leave it out and just mash higher.

It will be pretty different, but I bet it will still be very tasty. I have a great recipe if you're interested.

Definitely if you don't mind.

OG 1.060 FG 1.013-1.016

7lbs 2-row
1lb chocolate malt
8oz flaked oats
8oz roasted barley
8oz C60
12oz lactose (sub maltodextrin)

10m 1/2oz willamette
bitter to 30ibu with your favorite bittering hop

Add 8oz of your favorite cocoa powder (not cocoa mix- that has powdered milk in it) at 5m

I mash this beer low to counter the lactose, but you may want to mash around 154-155 with the malto for a bit of extra sweetness.

Split and scrape 2 vanilla beans. Sanitize them with vodka overnight with 1 pkg cacao nibs. Add for to secondary 1-2 weeks (or to taste).

I know it looks like a lot of roasted malt but the vanilla and the malto/mashtemp adds a lot of sweetness that counter it. The beer starts out awesome with a lot of vanilla and a nice roastiness, which fades with age as the roast mellows. This recipe is our most award-winning beer, actually, since that was in the OP. The malto beer will be different, but excellent I bet.

Thanks.... What yeast did you use? The grain bill is almost the same as a milk chocolate stout I have going right now with some Denny's Fav 50.

I just use my house yeast WLP090. US-05 would work fine, and Denny's would be excellent. Any clean yeast will work well. No S-04 or british yeasts, though.

Being lactose intolerant sucks. Homebrewing is how I discovered mine. I've always had a bit of stomach issues, so has my mom so I never thought anything of it. Made a beer with quite a bit of lactose in it, turned out amazing, drank entirely too many one night. Was the worst 24 hours of my life, and had to pay to replace my buddies toilet. No fun. Has he tried lactaid? Ever since I started taking it it's done wonders for me and allows me to partake in what I want.

Thanks Daksin.

I don't know if he takes Lactaid or anything I just figured it would be easier to brew without lactose rather than make him get a prescription just to drink the club brew.

Back