lactose free milk stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrappiestGuy

Reaction score
So I made a vanilla milk stout that my friends really like, but forgot one of them is highly lactose intolerant. I feel terrible that he can't have any. So what does the lactose in milk stout actually do, and is there a dairy free alternative?

It adds residual sweetness, as it doesnt ferment. Just omit it and mash higher, and add some additional light crystal. Or reduce the IBUs. Not all traditional sweet stouts had lactose.

thanks for the quick reply! I forgot to mention I'm brewing from extract. I'll try adding some more light crystal to my specialty grains to see if that does the trick. :)

Without lactose it wouldn't really be a milk stout, but it could still be a sweet stout.

Have your friend eat some probiotic yogurt right before he drinks your stout. Well, that should work in people who only have slight issues with lactose, if his intolerance is severe I'd just make a regular stout alongside it next time. That would have the added benefit of you being able to experience what added lactose does for the brew, rather than just reading about what we've experienced.

Lactose doesn't add any appreciable sweetness. It's most notable character is that it creates a silky mouthfeel. It gives the milk stout the notable smoothness that people look for in the style. I would add some munich malts to your steeping grains to boost the mouth feel.

Lactose definitely adds some sweetness. You could sub with some maltodextrin, but the flavor will be a little different. It's another unfermentable sugar, and will give you the body back, though not as much sweetness. Easily acquired at home brew shops.

Back