lactobacillus propagation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
if i have a package of lactobacillus, but i want to use it on more than one batch, should i do a starter? just like with yeast? or how should i propagate it?

I have never done this, but from my reading and time on HBT, my understanding is you do a regular starter wart, warm (90-100) and no stirring or aeration. Then once it is done you can pitch what you need and refridge the rest for later brews. If anyone out there has other opinions bring it on. Good luck Manuel :mug:

I have never done this, but from my reading and time on HBT, my understanding is you do a regular starter wart, warm (90-100) and no stirring or aeration. Then once it is done you can pitch what you need and refridge the rest for later brews. If anyone out there has other opinions bring it on. Good luck Manuel :mug:

I will use some soda water to top up the starter, so no oxigen can get in, thank you cma62!

I keep mine in 2L pet bottles. I make a 1 liter 1040 starter and leave the lid loose covered in foil. Pitch around 85% and top up with another liter for next time, Been using the same lacto for 2 years now. I keep it at room temperature.

Back