Lacto Starter & Growth Rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
Hi Guys, quick question for the experts out there.....

I'm trying to figure out what size of starter I need for my lacto. Will a lacto starter result in the same growth factor as sacch?

For instance, if my yeast calculator says that (for instance), a 2L starter will yield 200 billion cells....if I start with the same number of cells of lacto, will a 2L starter yield the same 200 bn cells?

I am aware that the packets of lacto contain less than sacch...ignore all that for now. I'm just wondering if a lacto starter will give the same number of cells as sacch.

Thanks!

ps - anyone have any results from the lacto brevis yet? Do tell!

I don't know about cell rates, but I can tell you that I pitched a 1.5L lacto starter (WLP677) and got an active fermentation within 12 hours (100% Lactobacillus fermentation). I made the starter at least 2 days beforehand, and let it grow on my furnace (It was in January), and activity was evident. It was a Berliner Weisse, 1.034 gravity fwiw.

In theory, given warm conditions, lacto (and bacteria in general) should grow faster than saccharomyces. By how much? not sure about that.

Not Sure if that answered your question. No experience with L. brevis yet, but did just get a text from LHBS that it's waiting for me!

Wyeast suggests for their lacto to make a 1L 1.020 DME starter and incubate for 5-7 days at 86ºF with no oxygen/air/stirplate. This should produce about 200 Billion cells.

Wyeast suggests for their lacto to make a 1L 1.020 DME starter and incubate for 5-7 days at 86ºF with no oxygen/air/stirplate. This should produce about 200 Billion cells.

Awesome, thanks. Can I ask where you got that info?

Latest posts

Back