Lacto in a Kettle Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Perry

Barnyard Brewer
Reaction score
Need some input if possible please, I pitched some Lacto in a kettle sour I am doing. The initial pH was around 5.0-5.2 (using pH strips as I don't have a meter yet.) The pH as of yesterday was about 4.0, and my target I would like to get to is 3.5-3.3 I plan to check the pH when I get home but was curious, would I be able to add more Lacto to the kettle and allow that to work to get it lower?

I brewed/pitched the lacto Saturday afternoon, and the kettle is steady at 90-92*F

Thanks everyone in advance.

Need some input if possible please, I pitched some Lacto in a kettle sour I am doing. The initial pH was around 5.0-5.2 (using pH strips as I don't have a meter yet.) The pH as of yesterday was about 4.0, and my target I would like to get to is 3.5-3.3 I plan to check the pH when I get home but was curious, would I be able to add more Lacto to the kettle and allow that to work to get it lower?

I brewed/pitched the lacto Saturday afternoon, and the kettle is steady at 90-92*F

Thanks everyone in advance.
More lacto would do it quicker but not necessarily make it go lower. It’s strain dependent. What did you use as your lacto culture?

Not to late. But just note that you need to test ph at room temperature for accuracy and also the strips aren’t very reliable. My best advice since you do not hve a ph meter is Heat it up to 100* for 24-36 hours. Taste it. If it taste pretty tart, after primary fermentation it will be sour. My guess is you’ll get to 3.5ish by the end of fermentation

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back