Lacto from yogurt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
I've been thinking about making a sour and harvesting lacto from a yogurt culture. I read this post where OP used a unique drink called Bio-Salud to get some lacto bugs but he said that the culture contains L. acidophilus.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/anyone-have-any-experience-souring-beer-yogurt-culture-82104/

While reading the side of my yogurt cup I found the culture contains L. bulgaricus, S. thermophilus, L. acidophilus, B. bifidus, and L. casei. I'm noticing that the yogurt I have in my fridge is missing L. acidophilus. I went to White Labs' and Wyeast's site, they did not list the strains of lacto.

I'm thinking that the culture from my yogurt cup won't be a sour as because its missing L. acido. Am I correct in thinking this? Any one had any experience or at least know the strains in the lacto brewing cultures?

Back