Lacto-cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hroth521

Reaction score
Anyone try to ferment apple juice with lactobacillus? I took 12 ounces of pasteurized organic juice and mixed in 2 tablespoons of homemade yogurt. After 48 hours on the counter, it tastes of apples and a slightly sourish, not tart, - pleasant flavor. It reminds me of kvass except I like this and I don't care for kvass. There is some dissolved gas (slightly frizzante). Unfortunately, I broke my hydrometer so I don't know how the fermentation is going. It tastes good enough that I might try a larger batch and bottle it. Wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this?

Tasted again this morning. The appley slightly sourish flavor is what I taste in English ciders like Aspall. I wonder if lactobacillus is just part of the natural microenvironment of old fashioned ciders?

I don't get sourness particularly from aspall (love it though). Maybe what you are perceiving is the various tart/acidic apples used.

Nonetheless I'm interested to read how it turns out and how it might compare to a nataurally fermented 'cidre bouche'

I don't get sourness particularly from aspall (love it though). Maybe what you are perceiving is the various tart/acidic apples used.

I'm really not doing a very good job of describing what I'm tasting. It's definitely not the tart/sharpness of the apples. There's clearly a fermented, kind of sour milk sort of flavor - but that's not accurate because, well, I don't like sour milk and I like this. I sense it high on my palate if that makes sense, not along the edges of my tongue. I do not have much experience with sour beer at all but this does remind me, in a very mild way, of a gueuze (sp?) that I had recently. This is, of course, much more fruity and appley than that was. I think I have enough here to try to make a gallon sometime soon. But I need to get a new hydrometer first.

By the way, the yogurt and other solids have settled into a 1 or 2 inch layer on the bottom of the glass and the cider is clearing quite a bit.

I'm really not doing a very good job of describing what I'm tasting. It's definitely not the tart/sharpness of the apples. There's clearly a fermented, kind of sour milk sort of flavor - but that's not accurate because, well, I don't like sour milk and I like this. I sense it high on my palate if that makes sense, not along the edges of my tongue. I do not have much experience with sour beer at all but this does remind me, in a very mild way, of a gueuze (sp?) that I had recently. This is, of course, much more fruity and appley than that was. I think I have enough here to try to make a gallon sometime soon. But I need to get a new hydrometer first.

By the way, the yogurt and other solids have settled into a 1 or 2 inch layer on the bottom of the glass and the cider is clearing quite a bit.

Sorry, I meant tart/ acidic in regards to the aspall rather than yours..

Something that may interest you is a recently revived thread on the babblebelt on sour cider. Can't seem to link at the moment but it's in the top posts. Google 'babblebelt homebrew forum sour cider'.

Thanks for the reference. That's an interesting discussion. It seems this is an area that needs some development.

Latest posts

Back