Lacto Brevis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soursessons

Reaction score
After a lot of research I have found many different methods of using Lacto. The predominant disscutions are about using lacto D in berliner beers either a sour wort or post fermentation. The more I find out about different strain of Lacto the more I dislike the traits of the Lacto D stain. It claims to be a homofermentive strai, in that it only produces lactic acid, not to mention it is so ibu-intolerant. It seems that many commercial examples of Lacto use show higher abv and ibu levels. Though much research I have found that this strian may be a Lacto Brevis strain.

I am looking aquire a pure strain of Lacto Brevis to use in post fermentation of WLP 670, a saison/brett blend. Does anyone know how to aquire a pitch of Lacto B.

Justin Viale mentioned in a probrewer forum that he used a pure pitch of Lacto Brevis, so this leads me to believe that this is out there. Any help would be great.

Thank you so much for your information. Wow! that is quite pricey for the lab culture. Do you know if this is just for a slant, or is it a pitchable quantity. I will email White Labs and see what they say. I am looking into this as a strain to use commercially as it will produce acid and little diacytle, plus no roping like pedio.

Do you have and idea how the strain worked for them? Many people mention using it in a sour wort technique, but I am looking to inoculate barrels with it in conjunction Brett B. and Brett. L.

I would imagine that its a large pitchable quantity but I've never dealt with them before, I only came accross it when doing some searching on your question.

I'll follow up with the guy in my club and see how it worked out for him, I am sure he added it to his barrels that are inoculated with practically ever microbe he has ever come across.

Probably a year ago my LHBS was able to special order it for a guy in my club from White Labs. Might be able to go that route.

Or you could order from here but its $$$$

http://www.atcc.org/Products/All/367.aspx

Looking at the documentation on that link, it says, for lab purposes only, not intended for human consumption.

Disclaimers
This product is intended for laboratory research purposes only. It is not intended for use in humans.

http://www.atcc.org/~/ps/367.ashx

So I have some more information on this strain, well at least that I can get it. No lab specs yet. I went to my local brew store in Grand Rapids, MI. There is a local yeast lab that is starting out and is building cultures of this strain. I will keep this up to date on my results. I hope this is a culture from a local sour company in Dexter, MI. JP Love!

So I have some more information on this strain, well at least that I can get it. No lab specs yet. I went to my local brew store in Grand Rapids, MI. There is a local yeast lab that is starting out and is building cultures of this strain. I will keep this up to date on my results. I hope this is a culture from a local sour company in Dexter, MI. JP Love!

Looking forward to your update! What is the name of the yeast lab company? Thanks!

ECY just posted on Facebook that they are propagating Brevis. So I guess we will see it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back