Lacto banking question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkflakes

Reaction score
I recently started my yeast bank using the isotonic method described by Sam at Eureka Brewing. It seemed like a good entry point for beginners. Among his list of banked microbes were a few different lacto strains. I am going to try a blueberry sour soon and just ordered WLP693 L Plantarum. The probiotic pills and shots didn't seem like good candidates for long term storage because I would need to rehydrate a capsule or deal with a sample suspended in pear juice or whatever. I don't have agar plates to isolate the bacteria. I will most likely just draw a sample from my vial and add it to the salt solution. I am pretty sure this will be fine because it's apparently been successful before, but I am wondering how others have harvested and banked bacterial strains or if anyone has any tips on this method in particular.

Back