Lactic Acid Use in Mash & Sparge Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 213331

Reaction score
I am fortunate to have good tap water for brewing, CA=4 ppm, Mg=2 ppm, Na=18 ppm, SO4=12 ppm, Cl= 4 ppm, Bicarb=32 ppm, 0 ppm NO2 and NO3. Water pH ranges from 6.9 - 7.2.

I brew 5.5 gallon, all grain batches and prepare 11 gallons of brew water 3 days in advance adding 1/2 Campden tablet. 3.3 g of gypsum (CaSO4) and 3.3 g of CaCL2. This gives me a finished profile of CA=57 ppm, Mg=2 ppm, Na=18 ppm, SO4=60 ppm, Cl= 60 ppm. This water is fine as is for my Brown Ales, Porters and Stouts in that I usually have a Mash pH of 5.4 - 5.5 for these brews. I don't try to match specific city water profiles.

To get my Light Ale/Beer mash pH between 5.25 and 5.3, I add between 0.5 and 0.6 ml per gallon of water. I usually prepare/acidify 6 - 7 gallons for the Mash. My mashes range from 4.5 to 5.5 gallons (per BeerSmith 3.0). I then mix the residual, acidified water with the remaining 4 - 5 gallons of basic brew water for a single Batch Sparge.

Wondering if I should just acidify the entire 11 gallons to ensure Sparge pH is acidic. Sparge pH in some brews gets up to 5.8 with my current process.

Your water's alkalinity is already pretty low and it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to acidify the sparging water too. Its not going to take much, if you do decide to do so.

Acidifying the mashing water is a likely need for your pale beers, while you may find that adding an alkali like baking soda is necessary to keep pH from dropping too much when brewing dark styles.

You are very fortunate...waterwise!

Your water's alkalinity is already pretty low and it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to acidify the sparging water too. Its not going to take much, if you do decide to do so.

Acidifying the mashing water is a likely need for your pale beers, while you may find that adding an alkali like baking soda is necessary to keep pH from dropping too much when brewing dark styles.

You are very fortunate...waterwise!

Yes, Corvallis water is one of many nice aspects of life in the Willamette Valley.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes, Corvallis water is one of many nice aspects of life in the Willamette Valley.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

MacBrewsky,

I am also in Corvallis. Did you get your tap water tested in order to determine brewing water chemistry, or are you relying on the municipal water report? PM me with details.

You're not likely to get a response - MacBrewsky hasn't been active since Sep 2018.

That's highly unlikely - it would be a privacy issue.
Brewers friend https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles has a profile listed for Corvallis that's similar to the one posted. What're you actually trying to find out?

Corvallis municipal water comes from two sources, and the % from each source changes seasonally. I have already ordered a water test kit through Ward Labs, but I’m wondering if anyone locally has tested summer water versus winter water.

Back