lacking flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On bottling day, how close in flavor is the beer at this point, compared to what it will be after conditioning for a few weeks?

I ask because the batch I bottled today kind of lacks in flavor...

What is the recipe and type of beer? Primary, secondary, if so how long? More info please.

Most beers should be pretty close to their flavor profile at the time of bottle. But i have experienced that most beers will get better with age.

Good questions!
It's a Mac and Jacks African Amber extract clone (amber ale, if you don't know the beer). I left it in the primary for 3 weeks I think...pretty sure that's what the recipe called for; I got the clone from this forum.

I'm very familiar with the beer and brewery. The brewery is local to me. The falvor of the beer is subtle as this is in an African Amber Ale. When chilled and aged for a little bit the flavor will be fine.

Did you do a full boil?

I'm from Puyallup, about an hour south of the brewery; moved to TN in April. This has been my #1 beer for years, so I'm very familiar with it as well. Wanted to do a clone since I can't get it way out here.

The recipe called for a 60 min boil. And that's what I did.

Excellent, i'm in the Bellevue area myself. What i mean by a full boil is the complete volume? Duid you boil 5gal? or 3.5 and top up?

Also, did you hit your numbers, OG and FG?

Gotcha! Did 2.5 gal boil and added that to 2.5 gal of cool water in the fermenter, then topped off with another 0.5 gal.

Wonder if that extra 0.5 gal watered it down? But the recipe called for it.

Yep, hit my numbers.

The other half gallon is fine.

Might be that the recipe is off. Sounds like you did everything you could. The flavor will change in the next few weeks as it conditions in the bottle. I would bottle it and wait it out. Regardless it should be drinkable good brew.

RDWHAHB :rockin:

Latest posts

Back