Lack of Knowledge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyDog

Reaction score
ok, I have another question.
I just found an unopened packet of dry lager yeast. it has a BBE 1-9-2011..
is it worth saving? or should I just toss it? it was stored in a box at room temp... Thanks again!

I'd save it. If you are worried about viability, you could throw together a starter (lots of threads here in case you don't know what that is/how to do it) to make sure the yeast is fit to use. If the yeast is viable, you'll probably notice some yeast activity and a nice off white layer on the bottom after the yeast are done with the sugars. If nothing happens or the starter looks pretty much like it did right after you made it then it wasn't viable and you should dump it.

If you can brew lagers use it-its expiration date was just 3 days ago. If you can't lager but can get fermentation temps into the upper 50's make a steam beer with it.
The "best if used by' date is a suggestion, those yeast are no less viable today than they were at the end of August.
Let me start over here. I've been in Europe for a couple of weeks and they do their dates different. If that's a European yeast that date would be September 1, 2011, if it's American it would be January 9, 2011. But either way I think the yeast will still be good.

I save half packs of dry yeast all the time (since I do small batch brewing), and have NEVER had any issues. All you need to do is roll/fold the packet up and tape it shut, and toss it in the fridge.

You can use it for your next small batch...OR you can use it in the boil as yeast energizer/food. It's a good idea for when making high grav beers or starters to add some yeast hulls to the boil. You can buy dead yeast hulls, or use bread yeast, or use the leftover packets.

But I've used year old half packs of us-05 that's sat in my fridge on beers and they've been fine.

Back