Lack of dry hop aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
I bottled my latest IPA yesterday, which I dry hopped with 3oz (2oz Amarillo, 1oz Simcoe) and was a bit disappointed that I didn't get an aroma kick to the face when I transferred to bottling bucket. I almost feel that I got as much aroma from another batch when I only dry hopped with an ounce. I used a 1 gallon strainer bag which swelled quite considerably after a day or two in the Carboy. Is it possible that they were too cramped in the bag and therefore less effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

fair amount of time, I would probably guess the bag then. I used one of those stainless tea strainer balls once absolutely 0 improvement, I just free range dry hops now.

I dry hopped at room temp, which is around 70 in my apartment.
I'm wondering what I can do for next time, as I almost feel that it was money spent on extra hops for very little return.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

just toss them in and make sure they all come in contact with the beer so you don't have any hanging out dry on top. You can tie the strainer bag onto your racking cane and that will filter out any debris. I've had good luck with it so far. Cheers.

You should have gotten a good amount of aroma. Maybe try without the bag next time. Also, it has more effect on bitterness perception, but making sure you have a good amount of sulfate in your water helps accentuate hoppiness.

If the previous batch had a lower or simpler grain bill then it could be that the aroma from the malt is getting in the way.
Also, the temperature as you bottle it could have had an impact on your perception; if it was a bit colder than the day of bottling the last batch then you'd get less gas escaping to provide the nose you were looking for. Wait and see what it is like after carbonation and after 3 weeks have passed so that the bubbles get dissolved in the beer. They should bring more of that dry hop aroma out. If the bag was really tightly packed that will have made a difference but you should still have a beer that packs a wee punch.

Back