Lack of Diastatic Power Data...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissRico

Reaction score
Hi All,

So recently, whilst working on a Christmas American Brown Ale recipe, I found out about diastatic power (DP), and why I can't just swap one base malt (American 6-row) with another (Munich 20L).

What I'm finding hard, is that Weyermann (and my LHBS) don't publish DP numbers (°WK or °L), and for Maris Otter (which has been my goto) I've seen numbers from 40°L to 150°L. Can they all be right?

Current grain bill for my partial mash looks like this (metric, but I'm adding the %):
Maris Otter 700g (25%) 50°L
Munich 20L 200g (7.1%) 30°L
CaraAroma 300g (10.7%) 0°L
Toasted Oats 100g (3.6%) 0°L
and
Amber LME 1.5kg (53.6%)

with my Maris Otter estimated at 50°L, my average DP is 31.5°L for this. However if the DP range of Maris Otter is 40°L to 150°L, then my average would be 26°L (bad) to 85°L (good)

I believe °L is a measurement of color not diastatic power

Edit: °L denomination is used for both degrees lintner and lovibond. Easily confusing, disregard my comment.

Northern Brewer posts DP numbers for individual grains. It isn't in a chart form so could be a little slow to look up.

Not sure how much use this will be with it being a New Zealand maltster but going to leave it here anyway.

Has Diastatic power measured in Windisch–Kolbach units just to make things more confusing as well

Jtratcliff... Erm yes, that was the only clue to the malts tee. But with only the name and the color, it looks like it's Bairds. Muntons is too dark (6°Lovibond)

Back