Lack of Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringtyer

Reaction score
I hope I'm at the right place for this question and you should know that I've perused the FAQ pages looking for an answer ...

I brewed my first batch of beer (a nice porter) a few weeks ago. Primary went well, secondary for a week to clarify and finish SG, batch sugaring for carbonation and bottling. The initial tasting (after primary) was interesting but bitter as gourd guts. After secondary things began to smooth out but still tasted a bit thin.

Been in the bottle for about 3 weeks now. Cracked one last night and the flavor is pretty good - but a bit "thin" tasting. The problem is it seems under-carbonated. What can I do for the next batch to help with that problem?

On my way to Nash Street Homebrew in Hillsborough, NC today to get ingredients for a pale ale.

It might still need some more time to fully carb up. How much priming sugar did you use, and at what temperature have the bottles been stored? If you used the appropriate amount of corn sugar to prime (4-5 ounces by weight), the beer will carb up nicely.

Without knowing your recipe, OG, or SG it is hard to figure out what's going on with it. Also depending on the ABV the typical MINIMUM for carbing is 3 weeks at 70. Higher gravity beers can take much longer to carb.

Also how much priming sugar did you use? Was it corn sugar or something else?

We need more info please!

Patience pays! The porter turned out really nice. Good smooth taste, not all all too hoppy ... just a slight initial bitterness that fades quickly to nearly no aftertaste. I gave a glass to a friend who is a porter fan and he gave me two thumbs up. Happiness here.

Just want to update this old thread with good news (for me, at least). My son-in-law came over tonight and tried a bottle of my porter. He was highly complimentary and while I was not paying attention had himself another. Gotta' brew more tomorrow.

There's very few carbonation issues on here, or in brewing that aren't simply the resilt of impatience on the part of the brewer. It's a pretty foolproof process. You add sugar, the yeast eats it, farts co2 and the gas carbs the beer...over a period of time. But that time is dependant on gravity of the beer, energeticness of the yeast, and temp of the beer (which is one of the factor contributing to energeticness of the yeast.

Thanks to all for the help and encouragement. Patience has never been my long suit. I have already jumped into two more batches - both pale ales and have one of them in the bottle. The other batch will get bottled tomorrow.

I am happy that my first brew was well received. Even SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) likes it. A good friend who lacks d-i-y ability liked the Porter enough that he said he will buy ingredients if I will brew. Does that sound like a good deal to anyone but me? Now ... off to find a recipe for a Scotch (or Scottish) Ale similar to the Dram Tree Scottish Ale at Front Street Brewery in Wilmington, NC. Naturally, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Back