LA/San Diego Trip - What Brewpubs & Breweries Do I Have To Hit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptYesterday

Reaction score
Folks from California, what/where do you recommend? I'll be out there for a week in LA and am already planning on hitting up Stone in San Diego. Where else do I need to go?

Hang out in Del Mar Nice Micro Brew Pubs there.... I can't recall off top my head as it's been nearly 10 years since I lived there.

I'd say Alesmith in San Diego is a must. PizzaPort Brewery is pretty nice too. they have a few location around SD.

I'm pretty sure there aren't really many decent breweries in the San Diego area. Too bad really, it would have been nice to check some out. Oh there are a few places I enjoy like Ballast Point, Pizza Port or this little place called Stone, but I don't think any of those are really noteworthy. Now, if you were in Portland! Well, then we could talk!!!! ;)

Let the flamewar begin!!!

(Coming from the guy in Northern California, where we also have NO good breweries!)

Can't we all just get along?

I'm pretty sure there aren't really many decent breweries in the San Diego area. Too bad really, it would have been nice to check some out.

I'll bite. :p

-As you mentioned, Stone & Pizza Port
-Lost Abbey
-Green Flash
-Alesmith
-Ballast Point
-Gordon Biersch (if that's your thing...)
-Karl Strauss
-Oggi's
-Firehouse

Not to mention some fantastic bars, pubs & restaurants with gi-mungous beer selections (some to mention, The Yard House downtown, Stone World Bistro at Stone Brewing, and Churchill's Pub in San Marcos). *whip crack*

OK more towards the LA side of things:

There's a couple breweries that I would recommend:

The Bruery in Placenctia has a tasting room open weekends. Not much to look at (well...except for the fermenters and barrels) but they have excellent beer and are pretty friendly folks. Nowadays they often have one or more gourmet food trucks parked outside as well.

A recently opened local brewery called Eagle Rock Brewing also has a tap room. I haven't been there yet, so I cannot comment. I do like their black mild, though.

I'm a big fan of Strand Brewing, although they have no tasting room yet you can find their beer on tap several places around the area.

Naja's Place on Redondo Beach pier has 80+ taps of delicious craft brew. It's a bit divey, but that's one of its charms.

There's also lots of gastropubs that have sprung up around LA with good beer selections. I don't know which part you'll be staying in, but in the south bay Simmzy's is good. If you're north of LAX in west LA area then Father's Office is good. Hollywood has Blue Palms with a good selection including cask ale. If you're up around Pasadena you give Lucky Baldwin's a shot, and a bit further east around Alhambra, San Gabriel, etc. you might try Stuffed Sandwich. Also, Hollingshead's Deli in Orange county is definitely worth a visit, if you're in the Disneyland environs. They keep weird hours though so you'd want to maybe call first.

One more I thought of: Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach. Very tasty grub and and excellent beer selection.

I'll bite. :p

-As you mentioned, Stone & Pizza Port
-Lost Abbey
-Green Flash
-Alesmith
-Ballast Point
-Gordon Biersch (if that's your thing...)
-Karl Strauss
-Oggi's
-Firehouse

Not to mention some fantastic bars, pubs & restaurants with gi-mungous beer selections (some to mention, The Yard House downtown, Stone World Bistro at Stone Brewing, and Churchill's Pub in San Marcos). *whip crack*

Oh, sure, there are THOSE places, but how about something GOOD?!?! :D

I'm not too sure about LA, but here in SD, I'd definitely check out one of the Pizza Port locations. The San Clemente one is really nice, great view from upstairs, but you can't go wrong with any of them. I typically go for the Solana Beach one since its closer to me. As far as pubs, I'd check out O'Briens in Clairemont. But you definitely want to check out the North Park area (north, south and normal heights). Toronado always has a good selection, Blind Lady Ale House (owned in art by Lee Chase, former Stone brewer) has some good pizzas and a smaller, but very good beer list, and Hamiltons Tavern is a must. Check out sandiegobrewersguild.org for more places and to see if there are any events going on while you're in town.

If you're already doing Stone and you want to make a long day of breweries in the North County, it is doable. Lost Abbey/Port is super close, Green Flash is 10 minutes away, and Pizza Port Carlsbad (the one that wins all the awards) is another 10 minutes from there. These are all amazing breweries depending on who you ask (I'm not as much a Lost Abbey fan, but that's ok.)

the rest of the breweries are further South, and some have limited hours. Ballast Point is almost always open, while Alesmith is only open 3 days a week. Those are the best two breweries South of the others listed above. Alpine is out in the middle of nowhere with limited hours as well.

If you want to do a pub crawl type thing, 30th Street in North Park is awesome. You can start a few block off it at Blind Lady, hit up the San Diego Toronado, and get to Hamilton's Tavern. There's also Downtown Johnny Brown's and Small Bar not too far away. Oh and Live Wire.

Lots of people like O'Briens as well, but it is typically very hop-centric. Out of all those bars, I really like the feel of Hamilton's the best. And they get some crazy beer in, so it can be a lot of fun.

The others listed are ok, but if your time is limited, I would pass and choose from this list. But I'm a snob.

Although it's not a brewpub, I highly recommend Father's Office in Santa Monica. Fantastic beer selection and top notch bar food.

Folks from California, what/where do you recommend? I'll be out there for a week in LA and am already planning on hitting up Stone in San Diego. Where else do I need to go?

San Diego:

Lost Abbey (Tell Teri I said hello)
Alesmith
Lightning
Ballast Point (beer AND brewing supplies!)
Green Flash
Backstreet
Pizza Port Carlsbad/bottle shop (next door)
Blind Lady
Toronado (bar downtown)

Riverside:
Hangar 24

Orange Country:
Bruery

A good route in San Diego is along the 78. Start at Pizza Port/Carlsbad, then head inland to Backstreet, Green Flash, Lost Abbey and finally Stone.

San Diego:

Lost Abbey (Tell Teri I said hello)
Alesmith
Lightning
Ballast Point (beer AND brewing supplies!)
Green Flash
Backstreet
Pizza Port Carlsbad/bottle shop (next door)
Blind Lady
Toronado (bar downtown)

Riverside:
Hangar 24

Orange Country:
Bruery

A good route in San Diego is along the 56. Start at Pizza Port/Carlsbad, then head inland to Backstreet, Green Flash, Lost Abbey and finally Stone.

Isn't it the 78? Or the 76? The 56 is more South and boring.

Yes, it's CA-78

To the OP, where abouts are you going to be in the LA area when you are out here? Southern California is a fairly large place, and just hitting a few of the above mentioned places will have you driving hundreds of miles. Can we get a glimpse of your schedule?

Just to try to help narrow this down a bit:

Los Angeles:
The city itself is almost a micro brewery wasteland. The new Eagle Rock brewery is about the only one in the city limits. If you are are anywhere near downtown or en route to Pasadena, check it out. That's not to say that there aren't good beers served at places, you just need to do a little searching. Father's Office is a good example.

Orange County:
Actual brewery visits would need to include The Bruery in Placentia. As stated, not a fancy place, but the beer is unique and fantastic. Not many stand alone micros, but several brewpubs/brewery restaurants and chain places like BJ's, Karl Strauss, The Yard House etc. If you end up at or near Disneyland check out JT Schmid's.

San Diego County:
Just a word about time and distance. Depending on where you might be in LA, SD County can be at least 100 miles and at least an hour and a half drive with no traffic. During rush hour, easily double it. The North County is home to Stone, Pizza Port/Lost Abbey and Green Flash, All relatively close together in the San Marcos/Escondido area. If you have the time, definately make your way and plan on staying a while. Stone has the widest hours, so plan around the other two.

San Diego:
Another half an hour (at least) South from the North County. Here you will find the other above mentioned places like Ballast Point, Gordon Biersch, AleSmith, and a few great beer bars, Toronado and Hamilton's.

Along the Beach:
Starting in the LA area and working South, Naja's Place was mentioned above. If you end up at Redondo Beach, it's right at the pier, and yes a bit of a dive, but a great selection of beer. Belmont Brewing in Long Beach is right on the beach and has an excellent veiw of the whole area with great food and the beer is great. Nothing crazy or adventurous, but good brewpub fare. Further south at the beginning of Orange County, Seal Beach is home to Beachwood BBQ, great BBQ and a fantastic beer selection of the West Coast and more. Just yesterday they had a keg of Pliney the Younger that blew before I could get there. Going further south you get all of the Pizza Ports, San Clemente in south OC, Carlsbad (just south of CA78 which you would take to get to Stone and Lost Abbey) and in Solana Beach, just north of San Diego.

Ultimately, there is more places than you can visit in one short trip, so plan wisely. It's a big place that's spread out. Get a good map of the freeway system, and one with street level would be not bad either, unless you Google Map your plans.

I guess this is a good place to finally post this. I've been working on this map for a while that started out as a local LA thing and has gradually expanded to the entire west coast. It is by no means complete and might not be completely accurate as to places that are still open, but should be some help. I might post this somewhere else on the site soon. Contact me with edits or suggestions..

Blue - Brewpubs/Brewery Restaurants
Red - Microbreweries
Green - Homebrew Supplies

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...5852038995370804443.00047a525ea3759159b10&z=5

I disagree with Belmont having good beer. Their stout is good, but I was served a pint of completely flat, butter-laden blonde ale there last time I went. You'd think somewhere along the line, one of the staff pouring and serving the beer would have noticed there was no head whatsoever, and it smelled like rancid butter. I just cannot recommend any brewery that serves beer that bad.

I'm not a fan of Belmont Brew Co. either.

With one or two exceptions, Belmont Shores is a bust for good brews.

Contact me with edits or suggestions.

I'd also add:

Oceanside Ale Works. New place, very small, several great beers. Near the 78 route.

Backstreet Brewing. Hidden behind Lamppost Pizza in Vista, CA, along the 78.

Blind Lady, downtown San Diego. Recently got the fermentors and kettle installed. I don't know if they've made their first batch there yet.

Barney's Beanery in Santa Monica is a pretty nice spot. A lot of bars/pubs around 3rd Street as well. By the Santa Monica Pier and beach too.

Also check out beermapping.com...

Here is the link for US Pacific map...

If you are feeling froggy and have a decent PC, check out the European map...

:mug:

I'd also add:

Oceanside Ale Works. New place, very small, several great beers. Near the 78 route.

Backstreet Brewing. Hidden behind Lamppost Pizza in Vista, CA, along the 78.

Blind Lady, downtown San Diego. Recently got the fermentors and kettle installed. I don't know if they've made their first batch there yet.

A couple more. I tried to PM you, Brewsmith, but it seems your inbox is full.

Strand Brewing Company
23520 Telo #2
Torrance, CA 90505

It also appears they now have a website up, although it's still pretty minimalist.

Ladyface Alehouse and Brasserie
29281 Agoura Rd
Agoura Hills, CA 91301
(818) 477-4566

Hope this helps!

The last time I was working on the list, Strand didn't have an address up yet, at least that I could find. I'll add it.

I'm not going to disagree with anyone on the Belmont. I've never had a bad beer from them, but I've only been a couple times and stayed with the Stout and Amber.

The last time I was working on the list, Strand didn't have an address up yet, at least that I could find. I'll add it.

I'm not going to disagree with anyone on the Belmont. I've never had a bad beer from them, but I've only been a couple times and stayed with the Stout and Amber.

I find your lack of San Luis Obispo stuff disturbing, in the very least put the brewshop on there.

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=doc%27s+cellar+san+luis+obispo&fb=1&gl=us&hq=doc%27s+cellar&hnear=san+luis+obispo&cid=0,0,1468726861937694397&ei=bxaIS6nYHYewsgP-tYyGAw&ved=0CAoQnwIwAA&ll=35.259077,-120.6428&spn=0.00841,0.021136&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A[/ame]

There is also Creekside Brewing (I think that's the name, it's right next to the mission) and downtown brew, both in SLO as well.

That's a pretty cool idea, Brew.

Regarding the Belmont Brewery, it deserves a place on that map regardless of quality simply because it is a brewery. Too bad there is not a way to leave a review.

There is a pretty cool iPhone application called Find Craft Beer. It uses your location to generate a list of nearby craft brew sources.

My SD list would be:
Stone
Alesmith
PizzaPort
Green Flash
Lost Abbey
Mission

LA:
Don't know a ton of places but:
LadyFace Ale House (Agoura Hills)
Father's Office (Santa Monica)
Laurel Tavern (Studio City and probably 2nd to Father's Office. Great food)
Verdugo Bar (Eagle Rock - Never been but supposed to be very good)

My SD list would be:
Stone
Alesmith
PizzaPort
Green Flash
Lost Abbey
Mission

LA:
Don't know a ton of places but:
LadyFace Ale House (Agoura Hills)
Father's Office (Santa Monica)
Laurel Tavern (Studio City and probably 2nd to Father's Office. Great food)

Any reason you're skipping Ballast Point on that list?

My SD list would be:

I've been to Verdugo several times. They usually have a good selection of beers, but in my experience the service there isn't that great. I have had good service there once or twice, but usually it takes forever to get a drink and the staff don't know much about the beers. On the other hand, last time I was there they were pouring drinks in pint glasses that were supposed to be in 6oz or 8oz glasses, and in one case they gave me a 1L glass instead of a pint. I ended up paying something like $20 for $50 worth of beer.

Agreed on Mission, but warning - Mission Brewery is not in Mission Brewery Plaza! Mission Brewery Plaza is a very visible building on the way to the airport, and has led many a beer seeker astray.

New English is brewing in there now. They have a lot of potential to be a very good addition to San Diego.

Any reason you're skipping Ballast Point on that list?
Nope.

I've been to Verdugo several times. They usually have a good selection of beers, but in my experience the service there isn't that great. I have had good service there once or twice, but usually it takes forever to get a drink and the staff don't know much about the beers. On the other hand, last time I was there they were pouring drinks in pint glasses that were supposed to be in 6oz or 8oz glasses, and in one case they gave me a 1L glass instead of a pint. I ended up paying something like $20 for $50 worth of beer.
Disappointed to hear that. I read an article from some beer writer that it was one of the best place in LA to get a brew. I will have to dig it up so you guys can flame him.

Belmont Brewery is worth a trip if you are in the area and probably better than some of the other LA spots mentioned. I also dont think they're beer is all that but the happy hour is great - 3.50 pints or something like that and they always have some Stone or similar on tap as well. It is in a great spot and perfect around sundown. Food is so-so as well and spendy so stick with the appees. Oh, and the waitresses there are usually pretty hot.

Back