Quantcast

La Fin du Monde

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
I recently had my beer loving uncle over for dinner, and after sampling my most recent DIPA, we got to talking beer of course. He highly recmmended La Fin du Monde. I got around to trying it tonight amongst bottling and transferring. As I bottled my hefe I wondered how the HBT community would categorize it. I haven't yet checked with the style guide, but it has
similar flavors with a hefe. Anyone familiar with this brew?

Rick500

Reaction score
It's a Belgian tripel (although it's made in Canada).

Some people think it's the greatest beer in the world... I had one a few weeks ago and thought it was okay, not great though. I had an Ommegang Rare Vos afterwards and enjoyed it much more.

OP
JuanKenobi

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked with the style guide, and it is listed as an example of a tripel. It seems very different than other tripels. It's very pale in color, sweeter than I'd expect and has a strong bubblegum note. Interesting, but not what I expected.

Rick500

Reaction score
I didn't get bubblegum from it. Honestly I don't really remember much of the flavor makeup now. I only ordered it because it was "keep the logo glass" night. :)

Joos

Reaction score
next time try the maudite.Unibroue makes some good beers.

GordonT

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked with the style guide, and it is listed as an example of a tripel. It seems very different than other tripels. It's very pale in color, sweeter than I'd expect and has a strong bubblegum note. Interesting, but not what I expected.
Fin Du Monde is one of my favorite beers and I have tried cloning it in the past but with no luck at all.

I believe this is closer to a Belgian Strong Golden that to a tripel. Its a bit of a hybrid though and maybe does not fit a particular category.

It is very pale, not gold but closer to white. It is not particuarly dry and has a great honey flavour and nose. My wife gets cinnamon in the flavour and i think she may be right.
Maudite is a good beer but my vote is for Fin Du Monde.

spearko520

Reaction score
the don de deiu was my go to for years- unibrou's been kicking out great beers for a very long time... they definitely rocked the belgian thing before it was huge.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
Rick500 said:
It's a Belgian tripel (although it's made in Canada).

Some people think it's the greatest beer in the world... I had one a few weeks ago and thought it was okay, not great though. I had an Ommegang Rare Vos afterwards and enjoyed it much more.
See that's funny because I HATED the Rare Vos (love most Ommegang though) but La Fin du Monde is one of my top 5 favorite all time beers.

thirstyutahn

Reaction score
Homebrewtastic said:
Trois Pistoles FTW.
Ya I gotta say pistoles is my favorite as well. I do enjoy la fin though!

Does anyone else find that although all of their beers are a different style they still all taste very similiar? I've attributed it to the yeast. I don't know what they use but I wouldnt be surprised if someone told me it was the same yeast in all their beers.

BigRob

Reaction score
It is the same yeast most likely, there's a wyeast strain that is the Unibroue strain.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was disappointed by Trois Pistoles. Wasn't bad, but wasn't as good as their others. I love La Fin Du Monde, and I love Maudite. Don De Dieu is tasty (and I thought it was very similar to La Fin Du Monde). Stay away from the Ephemere Apple though. The only Unibroue beer I flat out disliked.

CidCitrus

Reaction score
Ya I gotta say pistoles is my favorite as well. I do enjoy la fin though!

Does anyone else find that although all of their beers are a different style they still all taste very similiar? I've attributed it to the yeast. I don't know what they use but I wouldnt be surprised if someone told me it was the same yeast in all their beers.
I got a sampler pack a few years ago and noticed the same thing. Really good, but very similar

seanybubbles

Reaction score
Not a big Unibroue fan. Everytime I travel people ask if I drink alot of it as it's brewed in MTL. I just cna't get past how yeast foward thier beers are......

jonmohno

Banned
Reaction score
I just seen it in a shopping cart marked for 5$ for a four pack i got the NC.old stock ale.They were discontinuing it wasnt shure of some of the others i havnet tried i know they were half as much about as they usually are though.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
One of my favorites ever. Fruity, spicy, and smooth. I've got a 6er that SWMBO and I are aging til December. Can't have an end of the world party without La Fin du Monde!

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
seanybubbles said:
Not a big Unibroue fan. Everytime I travel people ask if I drink alot of it as it's brewed in MTL. I just cna't get past how yeast foward thier beers are......
Well... They are Belgian style beer.