Kviek yeast for lagers...talk to me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for this thread : I did an Oktoberfest-style with Lutra once. It was decent, no off flavors; it was NOT a true lager, I understood and understand this, going into the future when I try this recipe again. My complaint about the beer wasn't its flavor, but body : very thin. I've heard that this is a characteristic of Kveik / Lutra yeast. Is there any way to counteract it?
Thanks.

I have another 1 gal test using it planned. I'll let it go longer. Maybe the batch of yeast I received is having issues? Exp date isn't until 3/2026.

Pitch rate is ~4.6-6g. Based off science because 2 sachets = 23g/5gal so 1 gal only needs 4.6 min (I'll go get the popcorn now):popcorn:

Aeration could be low. Most of what I do is use a whisk when cooling in the sink. It takes about 10 min and I have plenty of bubble, but that might not mean much.

Maybe try a split batch once with a different yeast that doesn't throw off weird flavours for you. It's possible that you have a bad batch of yeast, but if anything you're over pitching in the warm batches. I doubt it's that. Aeration shouldn't matter too much with fresh dry yeast, nor should nutrients.
Another possibility is that you are a super taster of diacetyl (welcome our dreaded club) and you pick up minute amounts in otherwise clean beers with little extra flavour. Some of these beers have been malty styles with little hop presence, though W34/70 accentuates the exact opposite. I'm a super taster myself unfortunately, but I haven't picked it up from my recent batches with this yeast I think. I did pitch a lot and waited quite long to package, so that might be part of the reason I haven't noticed it recently.

I have another 1 gal test using it planned. I'll let it go longer. Maybe the batch of yeast I received is having issues? Exp date isn't until 3/2026.

Pitch rate is ~4.6-6g. Based off science because 2 sachets = 23g/5gal so 1 gal only needs 4.6 min (I'll go get the popcorn now):popcorn:

Aeration could be low. Most of what I do is use a whisk when cooling in the sink. It takes about 10 min and I have plenty of bubble, but that might not mean much.
Dry yeast is pretty rugged. Unless it was really mistreated then my money is on something else being the problem.

Fair point made above that aeration probably isn't necessary. I think it's worth mentioning that the warmer the liquid the harder it's going to be to get oxygen dissolved, though. If you're whisking it warm then I think there's a good chance you're not really aerating at all. Those bubbles are not gasses that are staying in solution. Aeration might not be as important for first pitch of dry yeast but I still do basic aeration and don't find it to be detrimental. If you ever use liquid yeast you should definitely keep this in mind. If you want to aerate then once you get to pitch temp do something to get oxygen in there. Shake it or pour it back and forth between vessels or whisk it or something. If you're troubleshooting and stuck then it could be worth trying this just to see. I'd try letting it sit longer first. Agreed with @G_robertus that some people are ridiculously sensitive to tasting diacetyl. You might be plagued by this...

I finally got around to my test. No lager, but wanted to see the voss in action. 1 gal test with some pale ale, pilsner, vienna, and biscuit.

Pitched 2.5g in to 1.2g.
OG 1.081
SG 1.018

Question. Pretty sure this is finished. No movement for a full day and temp dropped under 90F. I am at 77% attenuation. I think the percent is normal. Am I correct on that? I thought I have seen others say voss dropped their FG to low single digits.

I finally got around to my test. No lager, but wanted to see the voss in action. 1 gal test with some pale ale, pilsner, vienna, and biscuit.

Pitched 2.5g in to 1.2g.
OG 1.081
SG 1.018

Question. Pretty sure this is finished. No movement for a full day and temp dropped under 90F. I am at 77% attenuation. I think the percent is normal. Am I correct on that? I thought I have seen others say voss dropped their FG to low single digits.
I do want to get back to playing around with Voss. Right out of the gate it's not really a clean strain. Now with that said there was a local brewery that was serially repitching Voss under pressure. Instead of it being a twangy orange marmelade beer it calmed down and was more like a cleaner beer yeast with a slight hint of orange marmelade in the background that was barely there and no twang. I have a feeling they were crazy overpitching that strain and that's something I want to try...Aka brew a room temp pale ale, transfer that over to a keg when done, then just rack wort on top of that yeast cake as is without cleaning the fermenter.

I did see that the local brewery was just running around 75f-85f wort into the fermenter and just letting nature run it's course. The only temperature control it got was when it came time to cold crash.

That sounds like what I have typically gotten. I have always gotten attenuation similar to a strain like US-05. I found that beers made with Voss tasted sweeter than those with US-05 (maybe due the orange flavors). I have had the same results with the Voss from Omega (liquid), Lallemand and Mangrove Jack's.

Pitched 2.5g in to 1.2g.
OG 1.081
SG 1.018

I've used either Voss or Lutra a total of around 10 times and with one exception they've all finished between 1.010-1.013, with attenuation between 78%-82%. The one exception was a schwarzbier I fermented with Lutra that finished at 1.019 with an attenuation of 68%.

Pitched 2.5g in to 1.2g.
OG 1.081
SG 1.018

Could be, but your OG is moderately high. 77% AA is fine for most beers. If you were to drop into single digits you'd have a lot of over attenuation (>88%).

Why some of you write Kveik as kviek?
Anglophones would read kviek the same as kveik. The general rule is I before E, except with a C. This is regardless of the sound of ie in a word.

E.G.: he lied, seize the day, etc but also science and receive.

But I do agree with the notion everyone should learn the differences in spelling common in other places around the world and not holding on to the spelling you know, hard as it may be. The Dutch are notorious for destroying words they transliterate or adopt, for example. Russian or other Cyrillic languages also make for some hilarious transitions/transliterations at times, though I also get that it's hard to mimic some sounds in Cyrillic (George and Джордж (Dzhordzh), not sure if this is entirely correct tbh).

Medication for prostRate gland is the one that irks me.

No lying down with that medication it's prostate gland.

i before e except after W is statistically more likely to be accurate.

lallemand-lalbrew-premium-levure-de-biere-seche-voss-kveik-ale-11-g.jpg

I'll add that I put the batch in the fridge to crash, may not be needed(?), but after a taste test I think it will be good once carb'ed. I did add orange peel the last day and I'm glad I did. I can tell there is a strong alcohol taste as well.

I find that extra yeast nutrient helps when using kveik to reach full potential.
This might be one reason I have a different outcome with all the yeast I am using. I have not used any yeast nutrients. I do have a few 500g packs that I can boil up a bit and add if that could help until I get something ordered?

Do you keg your beer? When was the last time you cleaned the lines/taps? That is a place movie popcorn flavor can flourish and tends to show up more in clean lagers.

Once I had an infection that presented as movie popcorn butter that I traced back to a quick disconnect I changed out. I normally do not sanitize the QDs but after running BLC through the lines the flavor went away. So it is worth a shot to clean the lines. I now am more diligent about cleaning the lines/taps in between brews.

Interested in seeing how your Pilsners turn out. I’m also in the sunny South, and kveik is my best option for summer brewing. Just finished up a 10 gallon batch of stout on Voss, and I have a 5 gallon run of blonde ale perking away on Lutra right now. It’s just crazy having to put a heat wrap on my fermenters in the summer so they don’t cool off overnight!
I have done the stouts on Voss several times with good results. I have only used the Lutra in a blonde ale once before, but it came out great.
If the light pilsners do well, that would give me another option.

On what n*gga?

I made a couple of wheat beers and a light pale ale with it. I don't taste any yeast-derived flavors from it, fermented at 75. I will try it on some light lagered pilsners next. That'll be the test.

Cool. I like wheat beers, especially when they have reduced or no banana flavor. Well, I was almost blackout drunk when I posted that.

I have my first go at a "real beer" using Lutra. I messed around with a few 1 gallon batches that were okay. I brewed a larger batch of a Helles and pitched Lutra into a 2.5 gallon batch. I fermented it in a 80F closet. It looks about ready to keg after 4 days. I have a 5 gallon batch going with a lager yeast (JY268 - Franconian Lager from Jasper Yeast) fermenting at 52F.
20240623_211036.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion after having brewed multiple kviek and Lutra hybird beers is just don't do it. It's not worth it. Maybe it's just me and my picky palate, but I didn't like the beers I made with kviek. I really wanted to because of the speed and reliability of the yeast. Heck, the stuff is so resilient, I had a pack of Lutra freeze in transit, decided I wasn't going to use it, then a year and a half later I decided to make a starter with it. Took off within 24 hours and performed like it was fresh. That stuff is insane. But if you're looking for it to give you a beer that tastes like something you'd brew with US-05 or 34/70, you'll be very disappointed.

EDIT: And Voss isn't going to get you anywhere close to lager-like. You might still really like it though. Voss makes a good hazy (which I abhor these days), also makes great dark beers. I don't like kviek at all in lighter beers.
I had the same initial response to kveik yeast but found that those off flavors disappear after a week to 10 days of cold conditioning. That said, it kinda offset the need for speed associated with kveik

I had the same initial response to kveik yeast but found that those off flavors disappear after a week to 10 days of cold conditioning. That said, it kinda offset the need for speed associated with kveik
Hmm I disagree. I could taste them until the end and I did not care for them. That was last year I think. I have since decided that I won't brew with kviek again. At least for my usual styles. I never liked kviek in IPA. The only thing I really liked it in was imperial stout. I brewed a couple really good ones.

Hmm I disagree. I could taste them until the end and I did not care for them. That was last year I think. I have since decided that I won't brew with kviek again. At least for my usual styles. I never liked kviek in IPA. The only thing I really liked it in was imperial stout. I brewed a couple really good ones.
Funny you should say that. The only beer I've ever successfully fermented w Lutra and consistently got good results is a buckwheat porter. Interesting.

I am thinking about doing a 1 gal of Apple Juice with voss. Any thoughts? I happen to have some juice leftover from cooking some pork and the idea hit me.

Back