Kveik yeast underattenuating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weaves

Reaction score
Second batch of a kveik ipa. From my calculations (I use the Brewfather app) the first batch I used imperial kveiking, it was supposed to be about 8% finishing at 1.007, it actually finished at 1.017. Admittedly I stressed the yeast out by doing less nutrient and airating than normal so that’s what I chocked that up to.

my now second batch I used the new imperial bartleby. Calculated FG 1.009, it’s currently stalled at 1.019. I used my normal procedure when it comes to nutrients and airationand usually never have an issue with underattenuation. This is also a 1.052 OG so pitching imperial with 200 billion sells as opposed to the normal 100 billion should get me there.

what gives?

First one was 149, second one was 154, 60 minute mash both times

First one was 149, second one was 154, 60 minute mash both times
Second one was pretty high. I had similar low attenuation with lutra, once I accidently mashed at about 155. I'd blame the low fermentability of the wort. Calculated numbers are rarely a reflection of reality, so don't get too stuck on these.

52-54 is my standard for my ipas for the most part and I’m usually under 1.014, I wasn’t expecting to actually hit 1.009, but I definitely didn’t want 1.019. I’ve only ever had this issue with the kveik strains specifically

52-54 is my standard for my ipas for the most part and I’m usually under 1.014, I wasn’t expecting to actually hit 1.009, but I definitely didn’t want 1.019. I’ve only ever had this issue with the kveik strains specifically
Different yeast, different attenuation, we need to account for that when choosing the mash temperature.

With kveik, the fermentation temperature plays also a big role, most of them ferment the best at around 37c.

The 1.017 on the first higher ABV beer seems pretty reasonable even though it is missing brewfathers calculations. I think thats about 75% (assuming OG was about 1.068). That's in the advertised range.

The second beers attenuation does seem low even with the higher mash temp. What temp did you ferment at? Imperial does state that the attenuation can be low with this mix of Kveik if temp isn't kept high.

I wasn’t worried about the first one as much cause that made a nice 6.5% beer. However this one was supposed to be 5 something and I’m sitting at 4.3. Attenuation is supposed to be 85% I’m sitting at 62%. And I’ve had my hearing beat on it it’s been high 80s low 90s throughout

I've found that the Kveiks (lutra ,hornindale and voss) all can achieve 83% ADF when stepped mashed. My procedure is ,mash in at 143* for 60 min,add boiling liquor to get to 158-160 for 30 min then to 170-172 if there's room for 10 min then drain and sparge. I've been decoction mashing my lutra lagers with awesome results.

Having the same issue to a lesser degree with a ghost pepper pale ale right now. I started at 1045 and expected 1007, but I’m flatlining at 1011. Fermented at the low end of the spectrum, so I guess I’ll just suck up my low ABV and package after a few more days of warmer temps to allow for any last efforts.

Back