Kveik: Omega Hornindal vs Voss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
I'm just now hearing about Kveik yeast and think I wanna give it a try. But I have a few questions:

1. I'm reading a teaspoon of slurry into 6 gals is good in order to "underpitch" and bring out flavors from an otherwise flavor nuetral yeast?

source: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

2. Are these Omega packs of 1000 ml wayyyy too much to pour directly into 11 gals of wort for a 10 gal batch?

3. I see two options here by Omega, which one is best for a double IPA with an OG of 1.080?

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Omega-Yeast-Labs-Hornindal-Kveik-Ale_p_9557.html

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Omega-Yeast-Labs-Voss-Kveik-Ale_p_9556.html

I've had a lot of success pitching the whole pack into 5-6 gal (no starter) and fermenting at 95°F. I'm sure this would also work for 11 gal.
Both strains are extremely flavorful.

Hornindal makes tropical pineapple and mango esters.
Voss makes fresh orange and orange marmalade esters.

From Omega's FAQ:

Through our proprietary process, we generate the optimal number of yeast cells, which varies from strain from strain, to yield the best and most consistent performance for each.

As a result of genetic differences, we have observed strain to strain variation in cell counts even under identical growth conditions. Certain strains may contain up to 500 billion cells per pack while other strains may contain slightly less than 150 billion cells per pack.

Most importantly, all packs contain the optimal number of viable yeast cells to ferment 5 gallons of wort up to 1.060 OG at the time of packaging.

The number of cells in the pack do not define the success of the brew.

I don't know how many cells their kveik packs contain but it's probably just enough for best results. So, nothing wrong with using the whole pack in any case.

I did a NEIPA 3 weeks ago with Omega Hornindal. 10 Gal batch. Separated into two 5 gallon conicals and picthed one full 3 month old pack on each without a starter and it was done fermenting in 5 days. As mentioned above, nice Tropical flavors.

The following weekend, I did the exact same recipe but used a single Omega Voss 2 month old pack, did a starter since the Omega pack was fully inflated when I got it, which is not typical of the Omega packs, and pitched it to a single 10 Gallon conical. Fermented at 94F. It was done fermenting in 2 days! Orange rind flavor, more juicy than the Hornindal, but with a subtle tart to it.

You can't go wrong with any of these yeast. Try them both using the same recipe if possible so you can compare the profile of the yeast better. I have both versions on tap and some people like one or the other better, but they are both great. Super easy to use. I won't do any more starters unless I'm unsure of the viability of the pack or older than 6 months.

Hornindal and Voss are my new goto yeast for summer months. Grain to Glass in a week and not having to worry for temperature control is great!

I use Hornindal. I make a 1.8L starter and harvest two 50 ml vials to use for future batches.
I could crash and decant then pitch.
Last NEIPA I made I let the temps get to 90 and it produced alot of pineapple aromas. It was probably in the top three I've made.

I’m using Voss for the first time (also first time using Kveik). Do any of you bottle condition after fermenting with this yeast? I heard it could pose a problem so any advice would be appreciated. I am able to keg and force carb, but I normally do 10 gallon batches and split the batch between keg and bottles.

Kveik seems great so far. As to the original post: At 5:30am the morning after I pitched (about 15 hrs later) one pack without a starter into 1.078 OG wort, it was fermenting happily. I don’t anticipate having any problems reaching FG. I just skimmed some off the top of this batch to dry for next time.

Bottled hornindal without a problem. I did let it sit for a few days after fermenting at 85f. Result was grain to bottled in one week.

One week conditioning not lots of carb but at 3 weeks at room temp of 75 it was well carbed. Did find I had to keep it at least 3 days in the fridge for the CO2 to stay in solution and make a nice head.

Last edited:
Used oslo one time and the fermentation stalled at 1.016 - 23°C and did not carbonate in the bottle until I had it 3 days at 28-30°C

Latest posts

Back