Kveik fermentation slow down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeh

Reaction score
New to homebrewing so bit confused on what to do. I've done a part grain kit and swapped the ale yeast with a kviek yest. Hoping to get it kegged quickly. After 3 day of vigorous fermentation it has slowed to a slight bubble every 5 or so seconds. I checked the final gravity and its hit the mark the instructions say. Should I cold crash and keg or just keep going ? Thanks in advance (temp has been between 31-33c)

I would suggest that although the conversion of sugar to alcohol has completed, there are a couple days more for the yeast to "clean up" and day3 is quite a bit too early. With Kveik I typically keg day6-7, and while very quick, it still benefits and flavor "settles down" with another week or so in the keg.

Well it's currently day 5 with the small amount of activity taking place over the last 2 days. I'm on quite a tight deadline so from what you have said do you think cold crashing end of day 6 and force carbing to serve on day 7 be acceptable? Just don't want to ruin the batch either tbh. Thanks

"Acceptable" is one of those things like "salt to taste", or "add red pepper flakes to taste", and varies greatly person to person. I have personally never cold crashed (don't really have to capability) and my best kveik batches were done in a keg with a floating dip tube which were passable day 10. SO you may be in good shape with your timing. But please remember that I am just some random bloke on the internet, and my experience/taste is no guarantee of anything.

I’d feel comfortable cold crashing and kegging after 7 days of fermentation.

Last edited:
Kegging early is probably not as bad or even bad at all compared to bottling too early. However I've never kegged. But just guessing just in case I get the inkling desire to.

Thanks for the input guys. Think il leave it for at least the 7 days before cold crashing and kegging. Don't wanna do it too early plus I've bought a local 5l keg so that will do for the weekend! Cheers 🍻

Which strain of kveik did you use? I've gone grain to glass in 6 days with both Voss and Lutra, ending up with tasty drinkable beers. And I cold crash as well.

Back