Kvass Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sirstubbsalot

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted making a kvass with an elevated ABV yet? Know any recipes? I'm pretty interested in brewing one of these, but I'd like to sort of supplement fermentables in the drink with a bit of malted barley to increase body and ABV.

OP
S

sirstubbsalot

Reaction score
yeah, i realized i posted this in the wrong section of the forum and found several posts about kvass in another section. how do you "unpost" ?

cushdan

Reaction score
there was an article about kvass in a recent "brew your own" magazine, they probably had some recipes in there

DKershner

Reaction score
there was an article about kvass in a recent "brew your own" magazine, they probably had some recipes in there
That article was written by Oldsock (TMF). The recipes are probably similar, if not the same, but I have not checked.

Oldsock

Reaction score
That article was written by Oldsock (TMF). The recipes are probably similar, if not the same, but I have not checked.
Yep, same recipes (East End's "standard" version, Smoked Gruit, and Pumpernickel Porter) although the efficiency and batch size were all standardized for BYO. The article has a lot more polish though, as well as some bread recipes, kvass lore etc...

All three recipes turned out well, but the smoked/spruce/elderberry gruit is the looker of the bunch. It also provided some interesting turkey-day conversation when my grandfather brought up the whiskey barrel-aged wild elderberry wine his father made during prohibition, to have a bottle of that!

Oldsock

Reaction score
If anyone is interested we did an interview on the kvass project with Basic Brewing Radio that was just posted: http://bit.ly/hQLsBH