Kudos to Thyme garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
I do not want to jinx my new hops this year..but I just recieved my rhizomes from Thyme Garden and they look great...I have ordered Rhizomes from several homebrew stores online over the years and have a great setup and get them in the ground quick and have had more than a few never grow.

Last year I received what looked like a bag of sticks(I will not name the online shop)...the hops never had a chance!!!

This year however my rhizomes are big thick and strong looking....I just want to say Kudos..

I will have 2 new Chinook, 2 new Willamete, and 2 new Cenntenial in the ground..along with my older Cenntennial, Cascade, and Hallertau...I had to double up my Cenntennial because for late hop additions they are my go to hop for sure...

That is all

Jay

I share your opinion of the thymegarden.com--I received my order for this year a week or so ago--Cascade, Centennial, Magnum, Hallertauer, Sterling. All went into the ground immediately upon arrival--all large healthy rhizomes--all now have sprouted, some sprrouted within 1-2 days of planting.

I have two hop plants from last year, though not yet sprouted--these are Chinook and Nugget, also from ThymeGarden.com
These two plants grew to about 15' last year, though producing a pound (wet) or less each. Both plants still had small green leaves on them till sometime in February when an overnight freeze did the leaves in--I had let them continue to grow (here in Central Florida) till about November when I cut them down to just a few inches tall.
Best to ya'all
Dick Gaines

I share your opinion of the thymegarden.com--I received my order for this year a week or so ago--Cascade, Centennial, Magnum, Hallertauer, Sterling. All went into the ground immediately upon arrival--all large healthy rhizomes--all now have sprouted, some sprrouted within 1-2 days of planting.

I have two hop plants from last year, though not yet sprouted--these are Chinook and Nugget, also from ThymeGarden.com
These two plants grew to about 15' last year, though producing a pound (wet) or less each. Both plants still had small green leaves on them till sometime in February when an overnight freeze did the leaves in--I had let them continue to grow (here in Central Florida) till about November when I cut them down to just a few inches tall.
Best to ya'all
Dick Gaines

I as well got a nugget rhizome from them last year and it was the better producing of my 7 plants.

Seeing as thymegarden's rhizomes come from organic stock, do you guys keep with the organic routine or use chemical fertilizers?

I use Miracle-Gro those time-release pellets--comes in a big container @ CostCo--seems to last a long time.
But I have nothing against organic stuff either.

I'm relieved to hear the good reports about them. I just ordered 100 rhizomes: 25 each of Sterling, Nugget, Cascade, and Willamette. Couldn't resist the price, now I've gotta figure out what to do with them all! Good problems to have, I guess.

I'm relieved to hear the good reports about them. I just ordered 100 rhizomes: 25 each of Sterling, Nugget, Cascade, and Willamette. Couldn't resist the price, now I've gotta figure out what to do with them all! Good problems to have, I guess.

100!?!?! What else do you grow on your farm?

Wow, you guys weren't supposed to answer like that. I had just convinced myself that I wasn't crazy! I have some acreage that gets a lot of sun, and I tend to be overly-ambitious when it comes to beer related and outdoor activities. I'm actually splitting the rhizomes between my dad and I: 70 for me and 30 for him.

I've also heard that there's a hop stripper not far from here, and a pelletizer too. Otherwise, I'll have to throw a hop-pickin' party and pig roast for incentive to get people to help.

I've always wanted to do this, I know if I just bite the bullet I have enough gumption to see it through. Leap and the net will appear!

I ordered from Thyme Garden last year and they were great. Many ounces of hops for first year plants.

A hop stripper? I did not know strippers had a hop routine. This could bring new meaning to the song, "titties and beer"
cool....

Back