kscarrington Spent Grain Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103238

Reaction score
I've received several requests for some of these recipes, so rather than simply cut and paste I decided to post this in a new thread.

The base recipe I have been using is from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook - American Sandwich Bread recipe as shown below. If you already have a preferred bread recipe, you could easily adapt it to fit your expectations.

For the grain, I've been taking the spent grain, drying it in the oven at low temps until it is completely dried, then I run it through my mill for a finer grind and/or in my food processor. When I'm done it's not quite the consistency of flour, but it's enough to add a touch of texture while reducing husks during bites.

We didn't have honey, so instead I've been using agave syrup, mostly out of laziness and in an effort to use up the syrup. I'm sure when the agave syrup is gone I will probably purchase some honey, but that's probably another 20-30 loaves away!

For the spent grain addition, I've been backing off on the flour by 1/4 cup, and adding in 1/2 cup of the spent grain. So far that has kept the consistency of the dough as expected.

Cheddar Cheese Bread: After rolling the dough flat, I placed some shredded cheddar cheese on top, then rolled as per the instructions. It turned out well, although I definitely could have increased my cheddar addition. I probably only used about 1/8 cup for a 1/2 loaf.

Cranberry Bread: This was highly recommended by another forum member. I went the easy route and used Craisins, which gave it both tartness and sweetness.

Onion and Cheddar Dinner Rolls: I took a medium yellow onion, sliced it into long cuts, caramelizing them with some olive oil (in hind sight I should have used a hint of hop-infused olive oil - guess that will be with the next batch), and seasoned lightly with salt and pepper. After laying out the dough, I spread the caramelized onions out evenly, and applied a much healthier dose of shredded cheddar cheese, which I lightly pressed down into the dough. Because I was going for dinner rolls, rather than bread, I stretched the dough out much longer than normal. After rolling it up, I sliced it like if you were making cinnamon rolls. Placed them in a pan, let rise as normal, used about 2 tablespoons of butter on top before baking them for 25-30 minutes.

Hope this helps, definitely lots of room for creative expression to turn any of these recipes into something that will work for your tastes.

kc

image-2437535846.jpg

Back