Krolsh tastes sweet. still young?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelonHeads

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
Just tapped my first self made recipe of an AG Krolsh. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary lagering down to 40, then two weeks aging in keg at 40 as well.
First taste is on the sweet side, with a smell of apple. Is this because it's still young?

My kolsch is a little sweet too, but that's just because of the low hops that's typical of the style. I bet it's fine. What was the hop schedule and AA%?

1 week in primary is awfully short for a Koelsch. Koelsch yeast is a finicky yeast that takes its sweet time to finish fermenting and flocculating. That's probably where you picked up the acetaldehyde.

I do ~2 weeks @ 62 degree and 2 weeks at 32 degrees (all in primary) before kegging. While it's on tap, it'll be sitting at 45 degrees.

The only hops I used was Spalter for the last 30 minutes of the boil. This was my first recipe creation so I stayed with the basic profile and didn't go too wild. One thing I still need to learn in this process, is patience. The beers I've done are ok in the beginning and then really good for the last gallon or so...

If I leave it alone in the kegerator (40 degrees), for the next several weeks, I assume the sweetness will mellow out?

You're at 76% apparent attenuation. I prefer my kolsch a little more attenuated, but that's not too bad. It is likely that you slightly underhopped the beer (no 60 min. addition) or that the green apple is leading to a perception of sweetness. Hopefully a little time will clean up the green apple for you.

Back