Specialty IPA: Brown IPA Kristians Coffee IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhitch1

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1099 Whitbread
Yeast Starter
Smacked 10 hours prior to brew
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 38
Tasting Notes
Subtle chocolate and earthy citrus aromas. Medium body with a creamy biscuit finish.
Brewed this up for my brother who passed away in a car accident 2 years ago on May13 at the young age of 18. He always LOVED coffee ice cream with sprinkles and a pinch of cinnamon (its actually great) so i wanted to brew something up in his honor this year and i choose a fitting style that ive been wanting to tackle lately, the Coffee IPA.

This started with a trip to the local market which has a huge coffee section with a dedicated attendant. We asked him about his finest blends and that we were also going to be using it for a beer. He led us to the Hawaiian gold? but there was to much roast and not enough aromatics. I asked him for something a touch lighter, something fruity that is when he grabbed one of the best coffees ive ever smelt in my life, AA KENYAN LIGHT, purest blah blah from kenyan whatever it was i was hooked. Oranges and key limes, dark bakers chocolate and sweet cream under a very light delicate roast, I figured this would compliment a nice earthy citrus IPA perfectly.

8.5lb Maris Otter
3lb Munich light
1lb Crystal 10L
8oz Carapils
5.5oz Torrified Wheat

1oz Nugget @FWH into first runnings and sat for 5min prior to boil
.5oz Galena @ 30min
1oz Amarillo @15min
.5oz Galena @10min
.5oz Amarillo
.5oz Galena
Last additions were added and continuously added from 5-0min

SG 1.060
FG 1.008
ABV 6.8%
IBU 65
SRM 9

150 Mash for 60min
Pitched yeast at 64 raised to 68

Rack to keg at 14 days and chill add coffee extract after 5 days on gas, feel it tends to push the o2 out of solution (if any) and limit oxidation.
This yeast DROPPED like a rock at about day 11 but i usually dont touch any beer till 14.

COLD STEEP METHOD!!!
I think this was the key to this recipe...
I coarsely ground 2oz of "AA KENYAN LIGHT ROAST" and put in a sanitized jar with (1) 500ml bottle of water. I only steeped it over night for about 12 hours, ive read you can go up to 16hours but this is the limit before you start extracting to much acidity and tannins, also make sure its IN THE FRIDGE to keep temps low and limit the extraction of tannins and acids further.
This bean has a very high acid content, so dont go to over board, you can use A different low acidity light roast/more dry weight bean to the same water to get a stronger profile.

Pours a creamy white head that dies to a light lace, aromas of biscuit caramel orange citrus and a hint of dark bakers chocolate. The medium-light body comes in with the same profile, thick rich malty tones with a sweet cream essence and earthy spice finish, citrus makes it way in and out of every flavor i grab. This yeast gives a great bold malty profile while keeping the finish clean and light one of my favorite english strains.

While not as in your face as it could be, the coffee brings this bad boy all together, the lush fruit and dark chocolate notes from the coffee match up with the toffee like munich and biscuity marris otter so well. The amarillo adds in some fruit and the galena rounds out the profile with the aromatic earthy spice. I didnt dry hop this because i wanted the coffee to shine and thats one place where it really stands out

Hope you guys enjoy! Would love to see some of your variations. After i loved this so much i was planning on brewing a Iced Coffee brown like coffee bender, something to "wake" me up in the morning :rockin::rockin:

Rock on guys
This is my first recipe posted on here after 2 years of brewing, hope ya like it!
Cheers!
The Hitch

Sorry about your loss..

This looks great - wife has been wanting a coffee beer that isn't a porter. Gonna hafta try this one.

A couple of questions:

What yeast?

and

I do BIAB and was wondering how I might do the FWH addition?

Thanks!

Sorry about your loss..

This looks great - wife has been wanting a coffee beer that isn't a porter. Gonna hafta try this one.

A couple of questions:

What yeast?

and

I do BIAB and was wondering how I might do the FWH addition?

Thanks!

Thank you, and sorry for the long response!

I used 1099 whitbread smacked 3 hours before boil.

When you remove the grains, add heat and toss the hops in before boil starts. Leave them in for the whole boil and they calculate close to a 20min addition regarding IBUs.

If you want a more "american" lighter ipa you can bring the munich down to 1pd. It drinks like a balanced british ipa with a hint of chocolate and roast with earthy citrus hops.
Also you can up the coffee to 3oz if you want a lil more kick, im about to add the extra addition to the keg since it has faded somewhat since it was kegged.

Cheers and report back! Would love to know how yours came out.

My condolences.

I made a Coffee IPA as well. It's been sitting in the bottles for a week now. Would you like to swap a bottle for critique?

did anyones come out with a big BIG coffee aroma? I have mine brewed and sitting in the secondary right now. Im about to dry hop it but im conflicted on how to add the coffee. I know im going to keep it to 3 days out from kegging but I dont know whether to add whole bean or to grind. Originally I was just going to add 4oz of whole bean straight in the secondary but some people are grinding and adding less or cold brewing. Any suggestions from you guys after you have tasted your finished beers?

Back