Krausening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmadness

Reaction score
Didn't get much attention in the kegging thread so I thought I'd try here....

I may want to try krausening in some type of cask....be it a wooden barrel, traditional keg, etc. Anyone out there have any experience with this. I need to know what type of vessel to use (where to purchase, cost, etc) that I can krausen AND serve from without having to use a co2 tank to move the beer (I'm assuming that I will have to use a hand pump???). Thanks.

I am not much help, but you could try researching beer engines. Those use priming to move beer out of a cask or serving vessel.

I'm not sure if these are at all appropriate, but a tree&shrub nursery I used to work at would sell old whiskey barrels. It would only be good for certain types of beers as they seemed to have the smell of sweet delicious Bourbon soaked into the wood (they were also heavily flame charred on the inside). They sold half barrels for 25$ and the full, unmodified barrels were 50$.

Do you plan on drinking it all at once? That would be ideal otherwise wthout c02 won't the beer stale? You can buy 5 gallon casks but they are expensive IIRC +$200

What you're looking for is 'real ale'. You can use anything that will hold pressure (e.g., corny keg) and it will have to have a pressure relief valve, but you will have to either serve it by gravity or use a beer engine/hand pump. One thing to know is that as the beer is emptied, the CO2 in the vessel will be replaced with ambient air and, if not emptied in a few days, will 'spoil' the beer.

Back