Krausening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brausawyer

Reaction score
Good Morning beer threaders,

I have some questions to a process I will be undertaking in the near future. I have tried to search for the right info but need clarification on the subject of Krausening (Natural carbonation). So a bit on what I have going on.....

I recently brewed an Alt style using Vienna, Munich and 5% wheat. I targeted a SG of 1.052, but ended up at 1.050 as I didn't take into account the batch sparge I did. I made an all grain yeast starter using the same ingredients as my main batch, hit 1.036 and used Wyeast 1007 German Ale (I originally wanted Kolsch but my LHBS didn't have it). Everything went smooth. Now it has been 7 days in primary at 14-15 degrees C. So now the fun part....

I plan on cold crashing the beer in a secondary and adding gelatin. Then I wish to bottle it using lager yeast but using actively fermenting wort as the way to carbonate. But how big of a "yeast starter" to I need? I will be pitching it at high krausen and I need to know what the gravity it is the day of bottling and do the math, but I also don't know what the gravity of the starter should be (I saved 2 litres of wort from brew day). So I'll highlight my questions below:

1) How much in volume for Krausening to get 2.7 v/co2?
2) any reliable online calculators?
3) tips and info?

Thanks everyone!

Back