Krausening to remove diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
So I have an IPA that tastes.. well it just tastes off. I believe that it might be diacetyl and have read about krausening - adding actively fermenting yeast - to help clean up diacetyl in the keg.

I'd say there's about 4 gallons of the beer left in the keg. I'd like to make a starter today (don't have anything currently fermenting and the brew I plan to do next week is a saison which I don't imagine will work well). Even though I've always been told not to make a starter with dry yeast, I read another thread that said it worked with his krausening attempt.

So my question is - if I'm going to use dry yeast (I have S-05 and S-04), how little yeast/starter can I use to do the job? Since I'm already down to 4 gallons I want to add as little as possible to avoid any additional off flavors from an unhopped DME starter.

At this point I really don't like the beer and will try anything to make it better, even if it risks making it worse/dumping it.

Back