Krausening Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoALEia

Reaction score
Hi all

I currently have a German Pils that is finished fermenting and I wanted to krausen it for natural carbonation. It’s currently sitting at 60F (I dropped the yeast at 45F after my diacetyl rest then let it free rise to that temp). Should I use CBC 1 at the current temperature or use the same yeast - wlp830 - at a different temp?

Cheers!

Are either of those two options actually actively fermenting in another beer? The WLP830 would be ideal

No. I would just build a smaller beer the add it to the racking port if my fermenter

I’ve used CBC1 to krausen a couple lagers & recommend the practice! Cbc is great for this, shouldn’t add any flavor but might lend some mouthfeel. Personally, I wouldn’t ‘waste’ precious lager yeast on this. Plus my favorite lager strains floc so slow.

Personally, I wouldn’t ‘waste’ precious lager yeast on this. Plus my favorite lager strains floc so slow.

I guess that's the question - is the 830 some leftover slurry from this (first) beer, or split from an overbuilt starter (i.e. is it "free yeast")? If so then CBC would be wasting a precious bottling yeast packet on it. CBC is great though, I use it for bottling my aged beers.

Thanks for the replies!

So I saved some wort left over from my brew day to krausen it. It was pre boiled. So I’ll boil it for about 15 minutes, chill it, then pitch whatever yeast.

Oh I also have left over slurry from this batch I could use of 830 or a new packet. CBC would be new as well.

It's really up to you then, they'll both work well. CBC is neutral and performs great, you'll get quick carbonation. If I had healthy slurry that I could feed fresh wort, I'd use the free yeast and save the packet for bottling another beer. 830 takes about a six or more weeks to drop out though. Store the bottles in the fridge once they are carbed.

I’d almost rather make a new starter with DME and a bit of hops to krausen something than used stores wort. Most likely that wort is really oxidized by now.

Definitely use a bit of 830 slurry. CBC1 works great, especially for high ABV beers but while neutral i doubt it’ll result in the same beer as one carbed with lager yeast.

6-8 weeks is how long this beer should lager for anyways if it’s at normal fridge temp.

I kräusen all my lagers with chilled wort that I save and immediately freeze in a 2 liter soda bottle and some reserved yeast from my starter and 830 is my house lager yeast. When primary fermentation is done I thaw the wort and make a starter. When it is at full kräusen I put it in a keg and transfer the beer onto it and then naturally carbonate and spund. Then I lager. Brewed a German Pilsner yesterday and will be doing this in 2 weeks.

Thank you all for your input. I went with the cbc1 method. I should have gave more info about the wort I saved. I usually save it in purged kegs with CO2 so it still seemed pretty fresh and bready when I repitched. No signs of oxidation. This lager is quite lovely. The mouthfeel is unreal as well as the head retention. It needs a bit of lagering to go. I pulled a sample from the keg and it’s about as hazy as a NEIPA right now - that’s at 39 degrees and the bottom was cleared. I’m going to let this one sit for a while and slowly pull off the bottom until it clears. I added biofine clear after this picture so I hope that helps. I’ll try the 830 next time. This picture is after 10 minutes of sitting to give you an idea of the head retention. The foam was super dense - almost like what you would get from a side pouring tap.
2E7B3D8E-D61E-47D0-A217-8AEE8BC19704.jpeg

Back