Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieWess

Reaction score
Hello, I am making a second attempt at brewing my first batch w/o a Mr. Beer kit. Things seem to be going good so far as long as I am correct about 1 thing. You guessed it - krausen. This batch has a good head of white foam and is quite active, there is also a greenish/brownish looking foam on top of the white foam. Is this krausen? If so, what will become of it and what should I be watching for or expect of it. Thanks

Eddie

Yes, that's krausen. When the fermentation is finishing up, the krausen will drop back into the beer. Some of the crud parts will stay in a ring up around the top of the fermenter, and some will drop completely to the bottom. Both of those leftover gunk collections should be left in the fermenter when you rack. The ring will taste really bitter and terrible, so don't stir it back in the beer. The trub on the bottom will have dead yeast, coagulated protein, hops particles, etc, and usually compacts pretty tightly on the bottom with enough time.

After the krausen drops, the yeast still are busy for a little while. They actually begin to digest their own waste products before flocculating and dropping out, so don't be in a big hurry to move the beer out of there.

Step away from the Krausen. There is nothing to do there.

The top layer is an amalgam of oils and proteins, hop debris, trub, yeast, and trapped CO2.

You can expect this to mesmerize and entrap you and eventually fade away. It's a natural progression that will only serve to foster a deeper intimacy with beer. Dame Krausen will either consistently amaze you or frustrate you to no end but, either way she will always reward you with the most exciting of orgies once she introduces you to her sisters. They are the beauty queens Ethanol, Ester, & Phenol. But be wary of that hot headed ***** Fusel, she's guaranteed to join the party when the room is too hot and she is certain to leave you confused forgetful, exhausted, regretful, and suffering.

Step away from the Krausen. There is nothing to do there.

The top layer is an amalgam of oils and proteins, trub, yeast, and trapped CO2.

You can expect this to mesmerize and entrapp you and eventually fade away. It's a natural progression that will only serve to foster a deeper intimacy with beer. Dame Krausen will either consistently amaze you or frustrate you to no end but, either way she will always reward you with the most exciting of orgies once she intorduces you to her sisters, ethanol, ester, & phenol. But be wary of that ***** Fusel, she'll join the party when the room gets it hottest and she is certain to leave you confused forgetful, exhausted, regretful, and suffering.

GMB, thanks but now I am so confused.

You can expect this to mesmerize and entrapp you and eventually fade away. It's a natural progression that will only serve to foster a deeper intimacy with beer. Dame Krausen will either consistently amaze you or frustrate you to no end but, either way she will always reward you with the most exciting of orgies once she intorduces you to her sisters. They are the beauty queens Ethanol, Ester, & Phenol. But be wary of that hot headed ***** Fusel, she's guaranteed to join the party when the room is too hot and she is certain to leave you confused forgetful, exhausted, regretful, and suffering.

Waxing poetic are we, or just druck????

Well written...heading off to memeorable quotes thread now, thanks!

:mug:

GMB, thanks but now I am so confused.

That is what she wants. Yooper speaks her language very well also and her words are worth noting. But, she too will mesmerize you just before she slaps you in the head with a hockey stick. Which, ironically, is what a kiss from sister Fusel feels like too.

Edit: Which part confused you?

Ester is the usually sweet, fresh, beauty next door. Everyone notices her but not everyone enjoys her company.

Phenol is the spicey, opinionated, center of attention. She too is very attractive in the right setting but she can be be overwhelming at times and usually you will find yourself looking for a companion more dynamic, less outspoken, or tempermental.

And then there Ethanol. She is the primary reason we all came to the party. And she is the perfect companion for any occasion. She can be eloquent, or a down right whore when you want her too. She'll boost your pride, raise your IQ, and put you on top of the world. But be cautious because she, like Fusel, can be fearless, sometimes demeaning, debilitating and can convince you to do things you'd never do without her. Too much of her company can leave you struggling to find words. However, unlike Fusel, the beauty Ethanol will always leave thirsty for another dance. She is learned, bi-lingual, bi-sexual, and muti-national but loyal to no-one.

That is what she wants. Yooper speaks her language very well also and her words are worth noting. But, she too will mesmerize you just before she slaps you in the head with a hockey stick. Which, ironically, is what a kiss from sister Fusel feels like too.

Edit: Which part confused you?

Ester is the usually sweet, fresh, beauty next door. Everyone notices her but not everyone enjoys her company.

Phenol is the spicey, opinionated, center of attention. She too is very attractive in the right setting but she can be be overwhelming at times and usually you will find yourself looking for a companion more dynamic, less outspoken, or tempermental.

And then there Ethanol. She is the primary reason we all came to the party. And she is the perfect companion for any occasion. She can be eloquent, or a down right whore when you want her too. She'll boost your pride, raise your IQ, and put you on top of the world. But be cautious because she, like Fusel, can be fearless, sometimes demeaning, debilitating and can convince you to do things you'd never do without her. Too much of her company can leave you struggling to find words. However, unlike Fusel, the beauty Ethanol will always leave thirsty for another dance. She is learned, bi-lingual, bi-sexual, and muti-national but loyal to no-one.

Thanks GMB, I see I have a lot of homework to do, I wonder if any of those ladies wouild be into a study date?

Latest posts

Back