Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub1427

Reaction score
there is some chunky mess/ globs of krausen on the top of my primary... is it ok to transfer to the carboy? its not foamy just right on the surface, it almost looks like chunks of yeast. Should I let that fall before transferring or will that always be there. the FG is at 1.012 and steady.

sub1427 said:
there is some chunky mess/ globs of krausen on the top of my primary... is it ok to transfer to the carboy? its not foamy just right on the surface, it almost looks like chunks of yeast. Should I let that fall before transferring or will that always be there. the FG is at 1.012 and steady.

Some yeasts top ferment more than others.
Your gravity is stable, its done and time to transfer.

Siphon from between the trub and the yeast on top.

:mug:

Exactly... done or not... you got to get the next brew in primary, so move er out!!:mug:

i had the same thing in my lager today when i transferred to secondary for lagering.
for the last two weeks i thought it was krausen(just peeping through the airlock hole)
on racking and looking at it carefully it looks more like the curdly hot break i usually see after chilling the wort.
i did as suggested,syphoned the beer from underneath it and stopped when it stated up the syphon tube
i lost an extra litre of beer, but didn't want that sh%%t in my secondary

Back