Krausen on yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjasonh

Reaction score
Last week I was scheduled to do a brew using WLP001. I did an overnight yeast starter as I always do on my stir plate. Unfortunately the next day the weather ruined my Brewing plans so I decided to save the yeast. I cold crashed and decanted as I always would and stored the yeast in a sterilized mason jar in the fridge.
Today I made a new starter and pitched the yeast and within a few minutes had a thick active krausen on my starter. Is this normal? I have never had krausen in my starter before?

It might do more harm than good to stop it now, so I'd let it go and pitch the whole thing tomorrow. Many folks would call this a "vitality starter", so you're not out of bounds with that.

I'm surprised you've never noticed krausen in your starters. There've been times I woke up to starter krausen all over my desk through pushing the e-flask capacity (got a 5 liter one and solved that problem :))

Cheers!

Back