Krausen in air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye_Brewer1

Reaction score
Hey,

Just noticed I have some krausen / hop material in the air lock. Should I clean off the airlock and replace or just leave it as is. It's only been a week and I plan to let this sit another week and then dry hop it. For another week. I do have another airlock so should I swap out airlocks? Any issues from this?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480292006.922592.jpg

It looks like the krausen has subsided, so clean it, sanitize well and re-install. I suggest that you start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube installed.

Pull off, clean and sanitize, refill and replace. Next time use a blowoff tube cause next time will be messier trust me! Put it this way before I made a blowoff like in the picture I was very lucky to have my carboy in that blue tub

IMG_3739.jpg

Definitly clean it out asap. You needed a blow off tube. You got lucky! I have had it clog and build pressure and then explode the beer everywhere you could imagine.:mug:

It looks like the krausen has subsided, so clean it, sanitize well and re-install. I suggest that you start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube installed.

lol I was just writing that. Blowoff tubes are a must have!

Looks like the fermentation activity has settled down. Replace the air lock with a clean one filled with sanitizer. No problem with this happening. Might consider using a blow off tube in the future for this same brew.

Sometimes krausen reaching the air lock is caused by letting the fermentation get to warm or over filling the fermentor not leaving enough head space.

Thanks, I'll have to rig up a blow off tube next time around. Not sure if the swmbo would like IPA aroma all over the Christmas wrapping paper...

It's a 6.5 gallon carboy but I over shot my water target for the batch sparge. Ended up with closer to 5.5 gallons plus which left less head space.

You got off way luckier than I did. I had an American Brown Ale that blew the bung with the air lock and had beer sprayed all over a closet that I used to ferment in. The wife was not happy. I now use a blow off tube for the first 5 days or so. I switch to an air lock when the fermenting slows to about 2 burps a minute.

Is there a specific size tube (ID) that you guys recommend for a blowoff tube?
I'm putting one together this weekend and wanted to get the specs on it

I think it may be one-half inch ID. Take the body of your air lock with you when go shopping. Check the fit before you buy.

Back