Krausen hasn't fallen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
My buddy and I have been brewing for close to a year, but quickly got hooked. We just brewed batches 10 & 11 last weekend (1/22), and the krausen hasn't fallen yet. Both are in 6.5gal glass carboys in the 2nd bathroom shower with a cold wet towel wrapped around them. Temp has been consistently about 60F (did same thing with last 2 batches, stouts). tonight will be 9 full days with high krausen. What could be happening?

Details of batches:

6lbs 2-row, 2lbs crystal 20L, 0.5lb golden naked oats, 3lbs light DME, OG=1.071, lots of cascade hop pellets

6lbs 2-row, 2lbs munich 10L, 0.5lb medium crystal, 0.5lb golden naked oats, 3lbs light DME, 2lbs honey, OG=1.081, lots of hop pellets

both used a 2L starter and White Labs California Ale yeast that was pitched @ ~24hrs and at high krausen. Within 12 hrs both batches were humming along, i expected to be able to get a theif in and check gravity this weekend, but didn't due to the 1.5" THICK krausen.

Thoughts?

Sometimes they can take awhile to fall, although I've never had that problem with Neutral Ale yeast...

You probably won't hurt it by taking a reading through the krausen. My guess is that it hasn't fully fermented yet.

just leave them alone and take a reading in 3 weeks when its time to bottle

9 days of krausen does not sound like an issue to me. At 60F i would expect a slow and steady fermentation.

Thanks for the responses. I'll continue to be patient. I guess its not that uncommon for the krausen to last this long. If it doesnt fall by this weekend, i'll poke through and get a gravity reading. I would like to rack soon, so they can spend 2 weeks clarifing in the secondary (2nd week with dry hop) and be ready fairly soon. Planning on taking them to a party in March.

krausen doesnt always fall. ive had beer in primary for 4 weeks and it never fell. if hydrometer conistently shows a finished fermentation, your done.

BucksPA said:
krausen doesnt always fall. ive had beer in primary for 4 weeks and it never fell. if hydrometer conistently shows a finished fermentation, your done.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. 1 batch us starting to drop, the higher gravity is going. Will probably wait until the krausen falls on lower gravity batch, then measure both.

Thanks again. Both batches have dropped and gravities were 1.016 and 1.015 last night. Leaving them in the primary a couple more days to clean up assure terminal gravity is reached. I really need to learn to be more patient. I can't help but look at any carboy with beer every day.

Just to update, racked both of these last Sunday (day 15 in primary), both were @ 1.015. Just waiting for a bottlling day to open up, then I will dry hop both 6/7 days prior. Gravity samples were tasty!

Back