krausen flash with plenty of trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insanetwain

Reaction score
third batch and this one didn't get a nice thick krausen for a couple of days like last two. in fact i never saw the actual krausen, but it must have flashed in a day or so because there was a ring an inch above the wort after a couple of days. i let it sit for another two weeks; it looked pretty dead in there the whole time but there were no "off" smells escaping so let it ride. bottled it today and there was a nice thick layer of trub on the bottom. is it safe to assume it'll be all right? is the thick trub as good an indication of activity as the krausen?

i know i should have used a hydrometer! just got one and will be using on future batches. just wondering if this one sounds like it'll survive. :drunk:

thanks!

In my experience,if you have a lot of head space,or get the wort too cool & it has to warm up to get the yeast active,you'll get little or no krausen.

that's the thing...my first two batches were really weak and plain, so i'm not sure yet how to interpret final taste from what unconditioned beer tastes like. tried a shot and got a friend to try it, and we both agreed it's not sweet, not fruity, not anything really out of place except pretty bitter. i'm hoping that it's lack of sweetness means the yeast did their job. i'd think unfermented wort would be pretty sweet??? although on second thought, maybe the malts are starches that have to be broken down into sugars and so are not initially sweet after all (homework!).

but i was really curious if the thick layer of trub is a reliable indicator that fermentation happened, even with poor krausen activity. not really worried, i know patience will answer all questions eventually.

Back